Document too large?

I created a formatted note document in DEVONthink To Go and pasted in an image from my photo library. The document displays in the Sidebar as 28.8 MB in size, and the Preview pane shows nothing other than ‘Document too large’. Any reason why this would be too large to display? iPad Pro, plenty of free space available, iPadOS 13.3.1.

BTW, I shared the document with two other document management apps and it displays fine in both. One of the two apps supports editing formatted notes and I was able to edit the document, remove the image, shared it back to DEVONthink To Go and now the document works as expected (only 8.8 KB in size).

Yes. There is a file size limit of 10MB for formatted notes, due to memory consumption issues in iOS.
This is something on our list for DEVONthink To Go 3.

What other apps, by the way?

1 Like

Keep It and Notebooks 10, of which Notebooks can edit formatted notes as it has native formatted documents which are the same HTML documents as formatted notes.

1 Like

Thanks.

After reading many posts here about RTFD, I understand they have lots of issues and it’s better to use Formatted Notes. I’m curious why RTFD’s larger than 10MB open/display, without this limitation? Wouldnt these also need the same amount of memory as large Formatted Notes?

I’m not sure this is related, or a general bug - when I sync my RTFD’s with images, once I open them in the app, I can’t Go back - the side off canvas nav doesn’t open. Is this expected?

1. You can’t edit RTFD files in iOS as they’re unsupported natively.
  2. RTFD file don’t have embedded data. It’s linked in an internal folder structure.
  3. Formatted Notes are HTML and have embedded data. Web browsers aren’t built to support multi-megabyte files by default.

I’m not sure this is related, or a general bug - when I sync my RTFD’s with images, once I open them in the app, I can’t Go back - the side off canvas nav doesn’t open. Is this expected?

That’s an unrelated bug. I’m guessing you’re viewing in portrait orientation. Switch to landscape and back and the back arrow should be visible.

Ok thank you for sharing that.
To add some context - Keeping the text together with related drawings/inspiration images is a key aspect of what I’m looking to do with DT.

Since RTFD’s are not editable, that leaves Formatted Notes as the only option, and the 10 mg limit is quickly reached…

Looking forward to seeing improvements for this on the next release!

Also the landscape mode worked! thank you

You’rw welcome :slight_smile: