Does Print to DevonThink exist?

It would be really handy to be able to print directly from an application to DevonThink, much in the way I can print to Kindle.

Is there a sensible easy way to do this. Seems an obvious thing to want to do.

See, for example, page 77 of the excellent user guide (also available via in app help):

Printing to your database: To ā€œprintā€ (save) a document to DEVONthink as a PDF, open it in its creator application (this could even be DEVONthink itself). Then, do the following:ā€¦

I have not quoted the entire section because itā€™s well worth reading the guide (or help) itself.

Stephen

5 Likes

ā€¦and when youā€™ve read up and set up, hereā€™s a tip from Jim to make things even quicker.

2 Likes

OK, thanks I was clearly looking in the wrong place. All good :+1:

Except that works in some applications (preview for example), but not others (Chrome).

Pity there isnā€™t a consistent way to download pdfs to DT

How about in the browser, display the PDF then use the browserā€™s save command to save to DEVONthinkā€™s Global Inbox. I do that all the time so I do not see the lack of consistency you report.

Chrome bypasses the system print dialog on both Windows and macOS (ARGH!). Simply click more settings in the Chrome print pane:

Scroll down and select the correct option:

Which will give you the system print dialogue with the print to DEVONthink options. Or it has a special keyboard shortcut for the correct print dialogueā€¦

EDIT: clarity; changed screen shot.

Thanks for that, but ā€˜More Settings>Printā€™ option doesnā€™t exist in the settings on my version of Chrome on Mac OS X

Sorry, I realized I was less clear than I should have beenā€“updated my post to reflect that the more settings option is in the Chrome print pane (Chrome 90.0.4430.212; macOS 10.15.7), not in settings.

1 Like

OK, thanks. All clear now.

If you are on Big Sur and on the latest version of DEVONthink you need to use this as the menu title ā€œSave PDF to DEVONthink 3ā€

My ā€œPrint to DEVONthinkā€ was missing tooā€¦had to install the add-ons then in was there. In the menuā€¦ DEVONthink 3>> Install Add-ons