Does Print to DevonThink exist?

It would be really handy to be able to print directly from an application to DevonThink, much in the way I can print to Kindle.

Is there a sensible easy way to do this. Seems an obvious thing to want to do.

See, for example, page 77 of the excellent user guide (also available via in app help):

Printing to your database: To “print” (save) a document to DEVONthink as a PDF, open it in its creator application (this could even be DEVONthink itself). Then, do the following:…

I have not quoted the entire section because it’s well worth reading the guide (or help) itself.

Stephen

5 Likes

…and when you’ve read up and set up, here’s a tip from Jim to make things even quicker.

2 Likes

OK, thanks I was clearly looking in the wrong place. All good :+1:

Except that works in some applications (preview for example), but not others (Chrome).

Pity there isn’t a consistent way to download pdfs to DT

How about in the browser, display the PDF then use the browser’s save command to save to DEVONthink’s Global Inbox. I do that all the time so I do not see the lack of consistency you report.

Chrome bypasses the system print dialog on both Windows and macOS (ARGH!). Simply click more settings in the Chrome print pane:

Scroll down and select the correct option:

Which will give you the system print dialogue with the print to DEVONthink options. Or it has a special keyboard shortcut for the correct print dialogue…

EDIT: clarity; changed screen shot.

Thanks for that, but ‘More Settings>Print’ option doesn’t exist in the settings on my version of Chrome on Mac OS X

Sorry, I realized I was less clear than I should have been–updated my post to reflect that the more settings option is in the Chrome print pane (Chrome 90.0.4430.212; macOS 10.15.7), not in settings.

1 Like

OK, thanks. All clear now.

If you are on Big Sur and on the latest version of DEVONthink you need to use this as the menu title “Save PDF to DEVONthink 3”

My “Print to DEVONthink” was missing too…had to install the add-ons then in was there. In the menu… DEVONthink 3>> Install Add-ons