Drafts 5 export to DevonThink with tags?

But there are a billion ways to get your data out of Drafts - plus ways to write your own Actions if something is missing.

1 Like

I agree to everything that was said about *Drafts"—it’s great for typing immediately, the additional keyboard row that can hold various things from just often needed characters to whole scripts is a blessing.

And their tagline “Where Text Starts” is simply true. The idea is not to use it as an input app for just one other app like DEVONthink but for a whole bunch of them, if not all. Writing an E-Mail with the first paragraph as the subject line is an out-of-the-box feature but it could also be a mail to a recurring recipient. Or not just a note to DEVONthink but to a specific group in a specific database including tags or something like that.

Sadly, “Where Text Ends” is not totally wrong for the Mac version. Like @chrillek said, the notes in Drafts are locked in its database. Which I might find acceptable if getting the notes out was as simple as getting them in. But batch export/share/actions are a pain.

Which is sad and the reason—I have mentioned it here more than once and want to assure you that I have no business relation to its programmer—why I switched to 1Writer. Function wise kind of Drafts light but also tap to write plus customizable extra keyboard row with some scripts possible. And it saves to iCloud or Dropbox folders which DEVONthink can index. Saving to DEVONthink To Go still does only work manually, not as a default. Which might be an iOS/iPadOS restriction.

@Bluefrog, as others have said, Drafts is built as the place “where text starts.” It’s purpose-built for that function. I use it for drafting emails, notes I don’t need to hold on to, and notes I know I’ll need to hold on to. Often if I don’t have a pen handy I’ll just pick up my iPhone or iPad and within a couple of seconds am taking the note.

The interface is also very clean and customizable, reminiscent of minimalist writing apps.

DTTG has it’s place and purpose as a storage mechanism, but for me there is a bit too much friction there to use it for everyday note-taking. Same goes for Devonthink Pro.

Download Drafts and give it a spin! The experience is slick and fuss-free.

Oh I’ve tried it, and on more than one occasion. It’s no offense to Greg or anyone who likes it, but it’s never stuck with me. :slight_smile:

I’m aware that it is possible to get the data out of Drafts. What bothers me is that I have to get it out before I can work with it outside of drafts.

I’m an old Unix person, used to pipes and small tools for small tasks than can be chained together. Having a text in a proprietary database goes against that „philosophy“ and I prefer working with iawriter, Emacs, visual studio code etc.

2 Likes