Dropbox alternatives for DT?

Oh you really are going to have to change your name now … :smile:

and don’t forget the avatar icon

NEVER!!! :stuck_out_tongue:
hahaha

The bullfrog that never syncs

@luix

A bit more than a year, I’ve moved from Dropbox to pCloud and have been quite happy with it. I’m also using pCloud (via WebDav) to sync DT3 on my mac to DTTG on iPad and iPhone. No problems so far.

For the syncing I had also tried iCloud, but for some unknown reason it was leaving ghost files behind and I then decided to switch to pCloud.

If you decide to try it and want to use a referral link (gives you a Premium account free for a month) here’s mine: https://www.pcloud.com/welcome-to-pcloud/?discountcode=07liJiUxbLpWlO4w38RFD8ZV

1 Like

Actually, I sync often and without incident :slight_smile:

Like your new nickname lol Bulldog oops I mean BullFrog lol

Thank you, Valente. I will keep it in mind.

1 Like

I sync to my home Synology box’s WebDAV server. It’s fast because most of the time I’m at home and the sync happens over WiFi. When I’m out and about I can still request items from the sparse replica, and DEVONthink will pull them across LTE. It’s transparent which network gets used because it’s all IPv6.

I’ve been syncing via Nextcloud, which exposes a webdav endpoint. That’s been working reliably for me so far and I suspect any other webdav service would work just as well.

We have an internal ownCloud server running WebDAV that we sync with just fine. :slight_smile:

Let me toss into this a China perspective. I’m American but have lived in China many years. I’ve tried every conceivable sync setup from here (remember just about anything useful is blocked here including anything Google, Dropbox, etc). Because all traffic goes through the Great FireWall, it slows down everything including sync. It’s also true that even iCloud gets messed up. Although it’s not technically blocked, there has never been an official agreement signed with the government (whatever that means, according to an Apple rep here). I also tried my own synology setup but even that’s tough since you can’t easily have a fixed ip here (without paying a lot and I suppose special permission). Yes, it sucks here for internet communication. I was using webdav on CloudMe for quite a while, I was happy with it even though it was quite slow and relatively expensive.

About 2 months ago I found something called NutStore. It’s amazing. In China at least it’s very, very fast (compared even with some other local services). The support software for mac and ios (and I presume PCs) is very well thought out and works perfectly so far. And for the amount of storage I need it’s very reasonable in cost, about $30/yr.

So there you have it, I hope it can help someone else out who’s been frustrated with this situation for many years.

Thanks for the info, @EvanChina
Yeah, the network access controls in China make it a difficult situation, so this could potentially be useful for a growing number of people in our userbase.

et al:
Also, as I often say: Use a remote sync location only when you NEED it. Just because you have a cloud account, that doesn’t make it an optimal sync method.
Syncs via Bonjour, or local sync store for Mac-to-Mac syncing, are faster, more reliable, and private.

Hi. Is it reasonable to have two or more sync methods set up concurrently? Are there problems with duplicates? Does a slow iCloud sync interfere with a faster load cal network one?
In my case I have a synology NAS WebDAV store which works well when I am home.
When I am out iCloud works well enough but at home my interest is so slow it can take hours to sync. I also find myself in countries where the only feasible set up is peer to peer as box network betwee iPad, iPhone and Mac.
I have profiles set up for all of these but never know whether to leave them all enabled or not.
As a side note I’d love a USB direct connection method for when I am overseas in an off grid setting

Yes, you can use more than one sync method. They are isolated from each other.

There is no “sync over USB”, however, you can use a Bonjour sync when the mobile device is connected to your Mac via a Lightning cable.

I switched to iCloud and it works even better than Dropbox and much better than local sync I used at first

1 Like

That’s interesting. I wonder if there were some way of gathering metrics on the reliability, in some sense, of different syncing methods, in terms of speed, likelihood of collisions/conflicts, etc. Not sure how such dependent measures would be captured, but it would certainly be interesting; at the moment it tends to be just anecdotal. Does anybody do this?

There are no metrics on reliablity for any remote sync method and results would be largely anecdotal anyways.

when you say that you can sync via bonjour when your ios device is plugged into to your computer via lightning cable - is that faster than syncing via bonjour without your phone being plugged in?

We have no metrics on this, but yes it should be based on the same logic of why Ethernet is far superior to WiFi, regarding stability and throughput.

Thanks!