Dropbox Sync Error Handling Problems

I have a similar problem to the ones already reported with Dropbox sync stalling silently. DT3 seems to think all is well, and DTTG reports all databases as synced but nothing gets synced onto my phone. I have seen a few posts saying that this was just a Dropbox problem. That may be true, but DTTG needs to handle this better:

When this happens, some databases silently fall out of sync but DTTG’s list of databases in the dropbox store continues to update the last synced timestamps. BUT: if I uninstall and reinstall DTTG and reconnect the sync store, the affected databases don’t even show up in the list of remote databases. So upon reconnect, DTTG recognizes that something is wrong with those databases. It should be able to do so without me having to do that.

Is the official recommendation for now to not use Dropbox sync?

That may be true, but DTTG needs to handle this better:

I’m not sure how it’s supposed to handle it better when we have no data pointing to an issue - on Mac or mobile.

BUT: if I uninstall and reinstall DTTG and reconnect the sync store, the affected databases don’t even show up in the list of remote databases.

You are reporting abnormal behavior or you’ve got a sync setup issue.
Is there a triangle on the sync icon in DEVONthink To Go’s bottom toolbar? If so, touch it and tell me what it reports.

Is the official recommendation for now to not use Dropbox sync?

No, this is certainly not the official recommendation. We have many people who are successfully using a Dropbox sync without incident (including us) so it would not be appropriate to suddenly declare it shouldn’t be used. This would certainly incite undue worry and support on an issue that is not affecting them. And from the metrics of reports we’ve received, the likelihood of them being affected is still very small.

1 Like

Thanks for your help!

No, no triangle. In fact, that’s what’s frustrating, DTTG seems entirely unaware that there is a sync issue. Validation on the mac also leads to no errors being reported.

One thing that puzzles me is that all my databases originate on my mac. Then I sync them from the dropbox store with a clean install of DTTG, and a few days later about half of them will show up as “remote” with the DTTG icon (and no longer under local) in DT3’s sync preferences. Any idea what that might be about?

That makes sense!

a few days later about half of them will show up as “remote” with the DTTG icon (and no longer under local) in DT3’s sync preferences. Any idea what that might be about?

Do you have those databases open?
If the database isn’t open, it will appear in the Remote section.

When I have experienced this, the databases shown as remote and not local are not currently open on the Mac. Opening the db will move it to the local section (may need to refresh the sync pane).

Edit: need to type faster (or shorter)!
Edit 2: need to learn how to edit (and not start a new post).

1 Like