Dropbox Sync Issue/Duplicating Files

I have been experiencing an ongoing sync issue the past few days with Dropbox. I have been getting periodic notifications that 8 files in Dropbox were added when I was not using DT. I am new to DT, so I did not catch on that it was an error until today. I am experiencing/seeing the following things:

In the primary DT folder within DB, there is a sub-folder called “inbox.” There are several files that are showing in this folder but do not exist in my Global inbox. When I try to delete the files after a short time, they duplicate into the same sub-folder.

In the Dropbox trash, there are 100s of files that have been deleted every few minutes. It does not appear I have lost any data. It seems the files are duplicating and deleting themselves in a cycle.

My most recent database will not show on the DTTG app.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions to troubleshoot. I provide a few screenshots below.

https://cln.sh/Stij9s
https://cln.sh/yhEOgV
https://cln.sh/c9N2N3

I can’t access the screenshots. Please post them here.

Hopefully, these work. Thanks for your help.

No, I cannot access that server. Simply post them here in the forum.

Thanks. I’ve not seen that reported before; manifest files are part of the sync stream, so that much makes sense. Do you have any smart rules acting on your global inbox which might be repeatedly doing something to the files there? Presumably you are good for space on DB? I don’t use Dropbox for sync myself, so I think we may have to wait for others to weigh in.

Re. the inability to sync your most recent database: it would be helpful if you could post screenshots of the sync settings on both the Mac and the iOS device. Are these the only two devices you are syncing?

1 Like

There are really nothing to debug with Dropbox. You just set it up and it works.

I think best to separate the issues. First. Stop burrowing into the sync files in Dropbox. That is all controlled by DEVONthink and has nothing to do with you.

Figure out the duplicating and deleting files in DEVONthink. My hunch is that you are focusing on the sync files and frankly that has nothing to do with you. Focus on DEVONthink contents.

Then, “clean” the Dropbox synch location and resetup your syncs.

2 Likes

If I understood the OP correctly, there is no issue within DEVONthink, they are not seeing duplication or deletion of records. They were worried only by the files in dropbox, which in my opinion sync files. Whether or not it is normal for manifest files to be repeatedly created and deleted I cannot discern. On the whole, however, I do agree with you that there is no requirement to delve into the depths of the sync store.

I also agree that verifying the sync store is a good idea. And that treating the issues as separate also appears prudent.

1 Like

well spotted. So guess problem simpler. we’ll see, I guess.

Thank you for the reply and feedback. Just to clarify your suggestion, how do I verify the sync store?

Covered in the “DEVONthink Handbook”. Meantime, look under the “gear” icon.

1 Like
  • In DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync, right-click the sync location, hold the Option key and choose Verify Location Thoroughly.
    The results will appear in Window > Log.

• In DEVONthink To Go’s Settings > Sync : Locations, left-swipe the sync location and choose Verify Thoroughly.
    Once it’s finished, a warning triangle will appear on the sync icon in the bottom toolbar. Touch the icon to see the results.

Thank you. Here are the logs after intimating Verify Location Thoroughly. I can confirm there has not been any lost data to this point. Please let me know if you have any additional suggestions. Thanks for your help.

You’re welcome.

On a side note: In the Smart Rules section of the Navigate sidebar on the left, Control-click the Track Opened Documents with Trickster, and choose Remove.

1. Disable syncing the Global Inbox in DEVONthink To Go.
  2. In DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync , right-click the sync location and choose Clean Location . This will clear out any sync data.
  3. After the clean has been successfully reported in the Log window, check the checkbox next to a database in the Databases pane on the right to sync to the location again.
  4. After a successful sync on the Mac, reenable syncing the Global Inbox in DEVONthink To Go.

Thank you. I followed each of the suggested steps except #4. Before starting step #3, I checked Dropbox, and the DEVONthink folder was cleared out. After resyncing, I went back into Dropbox to check the folders, and it reverted back the exactly the same state. The inbox folder shows files that do not exist again-including the receipt folder. Do you think I should create a new connection with Dropbox?

In DEVOthink, hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket.

1 Like

Thanks for this support @BLUEFROG

I have one problem. I cannot get any menu choices (e.g. “Remove”) to show when I right click as instructed. How do I remove this Trickster function from DEVONthink? It keeps sending me an odd message in the log regularly.

Thanks for any further help you can afford.

Try selecting the smart rule first, then Control-click it.