DT 3 and Dropbox

This is the second time in a couple of months that my DT 3 is not properly syncing with my other devices (DTTG, ipad/iphone) over Dropbox — and its starting to get on my nerves a bit. Verification is successfull, and databases are syncing properly over Bonjour. But the Dropbox Location is not working, although all devices are reporting that they are successfully synchronizing (no errors, only verified timestamps).

The only way I’ve found that solves this, is setting up a new location and deleting the old one. This worked last time at least (a suggestion from a support ticket). But Im impatient and stubborn enough to not accept this as a permanent solution. Is there really no way to troubleshoot what goes on in the background between DT and Dropbox? So annoying to not know why the each device “thinks” that they are “in the clear”.

Am I the only one with this issue?

(All DT and DTTG versions are latest. DT on Macbook with Catalina, and DTTG on ipad and iphone with latest iOS.)

As has been discussed elsewhere on the forums, no there is no data pointing to a culprit in this situation. If there was we’d be pursuiing it.

1 Like

Have you raised the issue with Dropbox?

When it was just one or two it might have been spurious.

There are enough users now with this issue that there must be a technical issue either with DT3 or with Dropbox.

So what are you saing? One just have to live with it, or?

I am saying at this time we have no current recourse as there’s no defined cuplrit, we can’t reproduce the issue at will, and we have no data pointing in a certain direction.

Yet, you do have lots of cases where this is happening, right? So the data exists.

Is there nothing you can do? Like develop better troubleshooting/logging tools to see what goes wrong when syncing is abnormal like this.

Its a kinda bad message to send to your paying customers that our experiences arent substantial enough to create concern, and then give no solution or pointers on a service that is advertised as being supposed to work…

No we do not have “lots of cases”. It is a very sporadic issue affecting a very small number of people and there is no logged data of any use.

on a service that is advertised as being supposed to work…

We have no control over ”the service”, in this case Dropbox. Sync doesn’t control Dropbox. It merely interfaces with their servers to transmit sync data to.

Have you spoken with Dropbox about the issue?

I understand they may not respond to one or two isolated cases - but when it is becoming a major theme involving quite a few of your mutual customers, I would think Dropbox ought to give you a hand solving it. It is clearly not a random event with 1 or two customers.

1 Like

Have you spoken with Dropbox about the issue?

I am not at liberty to discuss internal communications like this.

It hasn’t “become a major theme involving quite a few of our customers”. It would actually be much better if it actually was. It is still a very sporadic condition and has affected a small number. So any incoming data is extremely limited. And also bear in mind, we have had some people report “It just started working again!” with no intervention on our part.

1 Like

I am another Dropbox sufferer and have posted a couple of threads about it, including one where “it just started working again”. Unexplained restart after unexplained stop is not very satisfactory.

I added Bonjour a few weeks ago, and now switching from Dropbox to iCloud for syncing when away from base.

And another here with DropB issues.

I have also trawled through the forums and it does not appear to be an isolated incident to me.

I am unsure why DT continues to advertise DropBox support, when clearly it has issues. For me it’s been an ongoing pain for months, and I am struggling to find cost affective alternative solutions for our organisation. Simply to be told - oh well, sorry, nothing can be done - leaves a nasty taste, thats for sure, considering what it has cost us in license fees etc.

I’m another (regular) Dropbox sufferer.

Pending any hope of resolution, I’d be grateful to know from Devon whether simultaneously setting the same database to sync over both Bonjour and iCloud is recommended or not (as if it is I’ll keep doing it).

I would think that if it were not recommended to have two sync services running at the same time the Preferences/Sync panel would not allow it?

FYI, I run with Dropbox with Bonjour “on” on the iMac that I think of as the server. I have the MacBook, iPhone, and iPad running both Local Sync (with accept Bonjour connections “off”) and Dropbox (2 tb paid-for personal account). Both syncs in DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go are set for Automatic.

Everything just works.

I run with Dropbox with Bonjour “on” on the iMac that I think of as the server. I have the MacBook, iPhone, and iPad running both Local Sync (with accept Bonjour connections “off”) and Dropbox (2 tb paid-for personal account). Both syncs in DEVONthink and DEVONthink To Go are set for Automatic

I recently added Bonjour sync and we had conversation about frequency of server busy etc messages. Like you I set up Bonjour with my iMac as the server and MacBook as the client. But I notice you say your MacBook has Bonjour Incoming connections OFF. After setting mine up to the instructions (I believed) I see my MacBook Incoming connections is ON. iPhone and iPad are OFF. I have just turned this OFF on the MacBook. Did you turn your MacBook to OFF after setting up or did I do something wrong?

It’s always been off. That’s how in the manual and how I did it. Without going back to re-read everything, I certainly didn’t intend to give the impression that a “non-server” (regardless of type of device, e.g. real computer or a mobile/tablet) should have Bonjour incoming accepted. See the manual, and if you want to read conversations, I suspect there are some here.

Thanks, I must have done something wrong.

Hey, but what can be wrong with “it works”? Giving you time to focus on your business! Other than messing time here, I have time to focus on my stuff!

Indeed! Although I have switched to iCloud sync instead of Dropbox, I now have two sync methods in parallel, and both on automatic, and hoping the server busy messages drop off, or reduce. Although harmless my OCD doesn’t like them.

What machine do you have running as the Bonjour server?

IMac. Retina 27" version a couple years old. Ethernet to local network. Lots of available memory (most not in use anymore and I no longer run the high memory stuff that often).