DT 3: How to import mails from Apple Mail program

Hi!
How can I import mails from Apple Mail into DT 3? Before it was so easy.
Cheers
Oliver

1. You must be running DEVONthink 3 Pro or Server.
  2. Email archiving is done in the View > Import sidebar. This is covered in the built-in Help > Documentation > In & Out > Archiving Emails section.

You can also import emails via drag & drop or via Email/Mailbox > Add to DEVONthink 3 in Apple Mail after installing & enabling the plugin for Apple Mail.

1 Like

Thank you for the answers. Got it!

Iā€™m new to DT3 having been a very happy user of DT2 for some years and itā€™s tough getting used to the new regime. Previously I used to import emails from Apple Mail via the Email/Mailbox>Add to Dt etc and this was great it only imported emails which it hadnā€™t already imported previously ie no duplicates. Iā€™ve just been through the same process with DT3 and itā€™s imported over 2000 emails which is ridiculous, I only went through the exercise with DT2 a few weeks ago so there shouldnā€™t have been more than 200. Is there any way of filtering the imported emails or somehow scanning them so they would show which were duplicates?

Itā€™s still importing emails up to 2700 now! How do I stop it!!

1 Like

I solved the immediate problem by turning DT3 off and on again. Iā€™d still like help on my first query. I can obviously delete most of the emails before a month ago

You couldā€¦

1. Select the Duplicates smart group, and or edit it to add a Kind is Email.
  2. Select duplicate items in the results.
  3. Run Script menu > Data > Move Duplicates to Trash. This should preserve the last imported for each set of duplicates.

There is no Duplicates folder under Smart Groups in the Sidebar - I assume that this is what you meant. I have never knowingly created a smart group. I deleted all the emails (it was only emails that I imported) that I imported from Apple Mail using the Message < Move to DEVONthink 3 route. I then highlighted just the last month of emails in the relevant account in Apple Mail and dragged them in to Inbox in the database in DT3. There were just 49 some of which had previously been imported. None of the previously imported emails showed up as Duplicates. Am I missing something? Is it possible to reload DT2 and get rid of DT3 because itā€™s driving me mad!! I want certainty and sanity to be restored and I donā€™t like DT3 at all!

Every database has a built-in Duplicates smart group. Thatā€™s what I was referring to. You can copy already imported emails in the same database, though I donā€™t know if thatā€™s what youā€™ve done or not.
Those would have shown in a Duplicates smart group.

None of the previously imported emails showed up as Duplicates.

That is correct. You canā€™t import the same emails more than once into the same database (which is no different than DEVONthink 2ā€™s behavior). This is reported in DEVONthinkā€™s Window > Log.

Blockquote 1. Run Script menu > Data > Move Duplicates to Trash . This should preserve the last imported for each set of duplicates.

To run the script, I have to select the duplicates in the folder. Is there any difference between just deleting the selected files and running this script?

Oliver

Is there any difference between just deleting the selected files and running this script?

Only that the last created document is preserved with the script.

@BLUEFROG Got a related question: I notice that all email I ā€œArchiveā€ (using the importer) is put into the Global Inbox in a special Email group. What now? Can I move that to a database? Can I move the Email group itself or is all email archived into the Global Inbox?

Thanks!

2 Likes

I second @apoc527 's question - how do I get archived mail to go to a particular mailbox rather than the Global Inbox? In DTPO, it went to the database highlighted in the sidebar, but that doesnā€™t seem to work, even if I check Select Group under Destination in Preferences->Import.

I notice that all email I ā€œArchiveā€ (using the importer) is put into the Global Inbox in a special Email group.
ā€¦
Can I move the Email group itself or is all email archived into the Global Inbox?

Actually it goes into the Email group in root of the database specified in the Destination dropdown.
(This is covered in the built-in Help > Documentation > In & Out > Archiving Email > Import or Archive.)

You can move the group to another database, but it will lose itā€™s *special group * status in the receiving database. This means subsequent archiving of the mailbox in the new database would generate a new special Emails group.

How do you set the ā€˜Destinationā€™??? There is nothing in the documentation!

There is an image on page 50, with a menu titled ā€œDestinationā€ at the top right.

Help > Documentation > Windows > Sidebar: Emailā€¦

1 Like

Am I correct that when Archiving a mailbox that has already been archived, DT does not update the locations of emails that have already been imported but have now been moved in the email app to another mail box? Mine doesnā€™t seem to be doing so, which somewhat makes this functionality slightly pointless as it means that I have to do a fresh archive every time and delete the previous one. I have ā€˜make already imported replicantsā€™ unticked because why would I want them to be replicants?ā€™ the emails are only in one place in my mail app, so I donā€™t want or need them to be in two places in DT.

Is there a way around this? Have a got my DT set up wrongly? Thanks in advance.

?
So you archive a mailbox, move the emails to another mailbox in Mail, then archive that mailbox?