DT inconsistency with files outside of database

I am a new user and have been testing DT for about a week, to see it’s capabilities and determine how I’d like to use it. I find DT to be a brilliant and attractive application, but there is one aspect that I find surprisingly confusing, and even dangerous – how it handles and interacts with files outside of it’s database.

I have searched the forums and see some references to this, but not thoroughly dealt with. Seeing, on the forums, that there are many dedicated and experienced users I figure there must be something I’m missing… let me explain the problem, as I see it:

I did a test on two files: one a JPEG image file, the other MS Word document. I ran the same basic actions on each and have compiled the results below, note the INCONSISTENCY in how DT handles these files, I have marked the behavior which I find questionable with asterisk’s (**):

I. Put files into DT, as aliases only (originals were on my HD – not in DT File folder).
A. Opened each by double clicking
1. image file opened in DT
2. Word file opened in MS Word
B. Opened each externally using the “Open External” command. Did some editing, and saved each.
1. image file opened in Preview, was edited, and saved – original on HD exhibited change
2. Word file opened in MS Word, was edited, and saved – original on HD exhibited change
C. “Show in Finder” command on each
- both files were revealed in Finder correctly
D. Deleted both files and clicked the delete “Also on disk” button
1. image file on disk was deleted
2. **MS Word file on disk was untouched

II. Put image file in DT, as alias with original being copied into the DT File folder (**Cannot do this with text files.)
A. Opened by double clicking
B. Opened externally using the “Open External” command. Did some editing, and saved.
1. image file opened in Preview, was edited, and saved – original on HD exhibited change
C. “Show in Finder” command
- file was revealed in Finder correctly
D. Deleted file and clicked the delete “Also on disk” button
1. image file on disk was deleted

III. Put both files in DT, allowing DT to copy them into it’s database (Word doc is changed to RTF)
A. Opened each by double clicking
2. text file opened in DT
B. Opened each externally using the “Open External” command. Did some editing, and saved each.
1. image file opened in Preview, was edited, and saved – ***no change exhibited in DT image file, but rather the original file (remember these aren’t supposed to be linked anymore) was opened, edited, and changed with no warning!
2. text file opened in TextEdit, was edited, and saved – ***no change exhibited in DT text file, can’t find any file in or outside of DT which contains the editing I did!
C. “Show in Finder” command on each
1. ** image and text files both show original files from HD (remember these aren’t supposed to be linked anymore)
D. Deleted both files and clicked the delete – there was NO “Also on disk” button
1. both image and text docs were deleted only from DT database

The thing I find problematic is that DT is interacting with these files in inconsistent ways, and even in ways which can alter and delete data unintentionally. It seems to me that all files which are “linked” with the jagged arrow should be files which are outside of the DT Application Support folder – thus they would be truly “aliases” in the Mac sense of it. Files copied into the DT folder structure should just be treated as in DT. This is how CP NoteBook works, and it’s very logical. As it is now I find myself constantly wondering if I’m dealing with a file within the DT folder or outside amongst my own folders. The other troubling thing is that the link is still kept with the original even when copying the file into the DT database, which can result in unintended alterations and changes. DT needs to grey out certain actions in it’s menu structures depending on the location of the file to avoid this. As is, it seems the only safe way to handle docs that may need to be edited externally in the future is to not let them be copied into the DT database. It would also be nice if text docs could also be put into the DT File folder so that there would be consistency.

I see much talk of upcoming releases on the Forums, and the Pro version, so maybe these issues will be dealt with soon in the future releases. Or, maybe I just misunderstand the handling of files in DT. Any advice and suggestions would be much appreciated.

I ran 1.9 through the same paces. Almost all of my issues have been dealt with. In general, DT handles files much more consistently. The only issue that I can see that does remain is when you have Preferences set to copy images, etc into the database itself. Opening them externally will still open the original image that you copied from on your hard drive. I see this as dangerous. Theres no distinction to warn the user between this action and the same action with a file stored inside the DT File folder. This can mostly be avoided by having Preferences set to copy files into the DT File folder, which I prefer anyway. Perhaps, what I see as a problem some would see as a “feature” – if so, I think that the “Open External” command on such files should be changed to something like “Open Original File From Outside Database” and the Show in Finder changed to “Show Original File From Outside Database.” I know thats wordy and clumsy so maybe there is a better way to phrase it…

That said, 1.9 is much better in all this – just the removing of the link arrow to all files that are stored inside the DT file structure was a huge improvement, now at least I know where the file that I’m accessing is stored (except for in the instance noted above).