DT Personal and backup question.

A basic Newbie question the answer which I hope someone can help me with. I have DT Personal and backup to an external drive via Time Machine and also manually. The question is, how can I locate individual files that are backed up?
If I were to delete the files from ‘Finder’ on my MacBook, how can I locate them in a backup? And how can I reinstate the files?
Apart from this issue I am finding DT Personal very good, a big learning curve obviously.

Thanks

You would have to go into ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 2/Files.noindex, then enter TimeMachine. You will have to do a bit of searching in it but the folders are firstly segregated by file extension.

PS:

Could you clarify what “big learning curve” ?

Thanks for your reply Bluefrog, that certainly helps.

You ask that I clarify what I mean by “big learning curve” ? Just that it is a new programme to me and I am finding my way around it and getting it set up as I want. I have followed the video tutorials and looked in the Help files which have made it easier.

One concern was that if I deleted all files from Apple Finder and had them in DT Personal, would I be able to find them from my external backup drive. Would I be right in saying that any documents in DT Personal, and also in Apple finder, would be a duplication? If so, then I would want them in just one place with access in case of having to do a reinstall (Mac or DT).

Thanks again for your help.

You’re welcome!

Yes. By default, importing copies files into the database’s internal structure. This makes a self-contained location for the data.

That is more clear now, thanks.

You’re welcome.

PS: Here’s a hint… if you can use the Finder, you can use DEVONthink (any edition). Seriously. :smiley: