DT2Go --> Web access

Foremost, i’m an happy customer using DT Pro for many years. I archive all my personal documents whether it’s emails, docs, notes.
I’ve got an iPhone, and now 2 iPads, one for pro activities and another one for personal matters.

I use DT2Go daily. It is a good product even if in my opinion it lacks many features (impossibility to modify an RTF document, impossibility during a search, to sort the elements by date or by size, or even to see in the list the size or the date of modification of the docs).

In my - humble - opinion, the main problem is not there. More and more among us are using these new devices on a day to day basis and having to sync everything all the time is a real pain. Couln’t WEB access usage on the phone and iPads be the best option ? For customers it means : no sync problems, access to every data, availability for any OS, … ? And for your company, investing in a WEB based version might be a better option than developing DT2Go ?

I know the Server edition exists but I don’t need any of the team features and paying 200+ € for DT Pro / DT2Go is ok for me but paying 300 extra € for this WEB functionality is too expensive. Why don’t you open a single web access to DT which could advantageously replace DT2Go ?

even if in my opinion it lacks many features (impossibility to modify an RTF document, impossibility during a search, to sort the elements by date or by size, or even to see in the list the size or the date of modification of the docs).

Interesting …

Modify RTF document : works for me (press edit button upper right corner when viewing the document)
Searching : works for me (search input box at top)
Sort by date : works for me. View Options, pick by date, ascending or descending
Sort by size: works for me. View Options, pick by size, ascending or descending.
See in list size or date of modification of doc: yes, I don’t see that, but the “i” button provides that.

For RTF, you’re right.
The thing is that I had a image in my .RTF so it turned to an .RTFD document and .RTFD are not editable (No EDIT button)

Sort is ok but not in the result of a query (see screenshot)

And no indication in the list of size / modification date

When your search retrieves dozens / hundreds of docs, you probably will like to get those information “at a glance” cause it helps finding the good doc. No ?

If I understand you correctly, you’re suggesting a cloud based service with a web interface. That’s suffering that I would probably never use: trusting a third party (DEVONthink) and even a fourth (Amazon, Google,…) with my data is in most cases a no-go. Especially if it’s a US company.

3 Likes

I agree. My use case and legal constraints would make it impossible for me use an online model - the ability to store everything on my own device and sync across my own network using Bonjour was one of the preconditions when I chose DT and DTTG (storing the files in a non-proprietary format was another). Having now experienced the power of DT, any replacement would find itself up against a rather longer list of requirements :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

BTW, I had in mind a solution based on a personal Web Server @ home.

My hunch: market for that would be limited, I’m guessing.

Thanks for clarifying - so basically Server edition with just one client? I seem to remember there have been similar discussions previously and that DEVONtech didn’t sound like that was on their roadmap (I’m happy to be corrected, especially as i can’t spontaneously point you to when it was discussed).

Do you feel that’s the sort of thing the average user could set up safely?

1 Like

Yes, this was discussed and no there are currently no such plans.