DT3 Global InBox disappears from Save Dialogs

Noticed this AM that the DT Global InBox no longer appears in Save Dialogs. I’m running Ventura 13.5, DT 3.9.2. The “Global Inbox in Save Dialogs” option in the “Install Add-Ons” dialog is definitely checked (and grayed out). The InBox was there, well, for months, until this AM. How might I re-enable it?

What do you see in the Finder’s sidebar?

Sounds like it disappeared from the Finder’s side bar for some reason. Just put it back.

It doesn’t appear in the sidebar. I’m quite sure I didn’t move it.

What do you see?

CleanShot 2023-08-09 at 15.23.20

“rabbit” is a folder on the main hard drive (Boojum).

In the Finder, hold the Option key and choose Go > Library.
Open the Application Support/DEVONthink 3 folder.
Drag the Inbox folder not the Inbox.dtBase2 file to the Finder’s sidebar.

Thanks, that did it. Odd, this hasn’t happened before :frowning: .

It’s just an alias, so I wouldn’t be overly concerned. But let us know if it recurs.

I’d like to mention that this problem (the Inbox disappearing from the sidebar in Save dialogs) has been happening to me too, at apparently random times, for (at least) many months. I wish I had noted when it first started occurring, and I’m not sure whether it’s related to having upgraded to Ventura or after the most recent DEVONthink upgrade. The symptom is simply that at some point I’ll want to save something to the DEVONthink Inbox from a Save dialog (often Safari), and discover that Inbox is no longer in the sidebar.

The solution for me has been:

1. close the Save dialog I was just in
  2. switch to the DEVONthink application
  3. select item Install Add-Ons… from the DEVONthink menubar item
  4. in the modal dialog that is shown next, the option to install the “Global Inbox in Save Dialogs” will be available and be checked already (apparently the dialog can detect that the Inbox is no longer installed), so I only verify that nothing else is selected
  5. I click the Install button

I then switch back to the original application, and now the Inbox is in the sidebar of the Save dialog.

Details:

• DEVONthink version 3.9.2
  • MacOS Ventura 13.4 (22F66)

Thanks for sharing the experience!
We have no information on consistently reproducing this behavior. It could happens from OS updates but there’s nothing specific DEVONthink is doing tthat should affect this.

I’ve never seen the “Inbox” (DEVONthink’s Global Inbox) disappear from the Save dialogs. But I also am doing one more thing than you mention. I show the “Inbox” folder in Finder’s sidebar.

Perhaps some apps look to Finder for clues about what to put in their Save dialogs. Dunno.

Just thought I’d mention.

Ooops, I think I goofed! I dragged the Inbox folder without the option key … I believe I have now lost my inbox functionality (but I do now have by inbox in my sidebar :-/

Welcome @bffo

I dragged the Inbox folder without the option key

Do you mean you dragged it into a Finder window’s sidebar?
If so, that’s perfectly fine as it essentially creates an alias to the item.

Yes, it is there (in the sidebar), but when I drop files there, they don’t show up in the DT Inbox, and are gone from where ever I sent them from … I need to find them :slight_smile:

Did you rename the alias in the sidebar?

Ah, I figured it out. I must have dropped the wrong alias at the wrong place. In my sidebar, at the bottom, I found the correct “Inbox”, which works. The other (bad one, where all my files went) is a subfolder to Abbyy; I must have dropped it there by accident. So, all is good and resolved. My more generic question: Why does the Inbox alias disappear from my finder window? (and, btw, thank you very much for your help Jim @BLUEFROG!

You’re very welcome and glad to hear you noted your misstep!

Why does the Inbox alias disappear from my finder window?

When does it disappear?

That is a good question. OS upgrades? I’m actually not sure. I just migrated last month to a new computer, and it happened once in the last month. Last year, it may have happened 2 or 3 times, and I was usually able to launch the “Global Inbox in Save Dialog” script, but this time it was not available (greyed out). But maybe the last OS upgrade simply moved things around — didn’t actually remove it … It was there, but not at the top, where it usually lives.