DT3: no keyboard shortcut or menu command to hide sidebar?

It seems the only way to hide the sidebar is by using the toolbar button. Once it’s hidden I can bring it back using the View menu items or the equivalent keystrokes but I can’t hide it without the mouse.

This would be really helpful for setting up the TouchBar with BTT, too, since it relies on keystrokes or menu items to act.

You can close the sidebar with the same commands that open it, option-command 1 through 4.

That only helps if you know what state it’s in. Or if you want to add four TouchBar buttons which would clutter things up too much.

I’d prefer to have the visibility and content switched separately (as in e.g. Scrivener).

Doesn’t toggling Cmd+Opt+1 (as in, pressing it twice) do what you are looking for?

Yes … unless you hit Cmd+Opt+2 after the first Cmd+Opt+1 . Then it switches the state back to Navigation rather than toggling the visibility off.

But hitting/toggling Cmd+Opt+2 again, then also toggles that sidebar-view’s visibility? It’s one more action in each case, potentially, but it probably can be made a habit of fairly quickly, I would think.

1 Like

Yeah but I’d still prefer to have a single keystroke that can consistently hide the sidebar regardless of its state. I’d like to be able to add a single TouchBar button (via BTT) to toggle the sidebar, and also map it to a two finger left swipe. I have this set up in Finder, BibDesk, Skim, Scrivener (and probably some other apps).

Scrivener and Skim both allow the user to change the content displayed in the sidebar, and to toggle the visibility of the sidebar independently of its content. So there are good precedents for this approach.

Also the Inspector in DT3 does have a separate Show / Hide function - opt-cmd-i - so why not make it consistent?

Old thread, but I just spent more time than I’d like to admit looking for “Hide Sidebar” or some variation. The “Show/Hide” paradigm is used for Toolbar, Editing Bar, Format Bar, Inspectors, etc. so I just assumed it was hiding somewhere in there.

Another nice addition of a menu item like this is having your last view be remembered. My current workaround is to use Keyboard Maestro to store a global variable of the last used view.