DT3 Warning: Possible bug resulting in loss of data

I just (nearly) lost thousands of MD files while moving them from one DB to another.
Here is a breakdown of what happened:

1. I had a indexed folder with thousands of text files in Greek and English.
    English files were tagged with ENG and Greek files with GRC.

2. I moved the indexed items to the database.

3. I used the tags pane to filter only the English files with the ‘ENG’ tag.

4. My folder structure appeared. I moved it to a new database.
    The (wrong) assumption was that it would pass along only the ENG files while maintaining the GRC files organized under the same folder structure in the old database.

5. The outcome was baffling. Most folders were moved, but some were left behind (without any files).
    Similarly, most ENG files were moved, but ALL greek files disappeared. By this I mean the following: the tag filter wasn’t active anymore and they were not in the new database; they were not in the old database; they were not in the trash.

My first backup was Dropbox since the indexed folder was synced. For some reason the files were not in the cloud along with other deleted files either. Luckily, the folder was also a git repository so I managed to revert the changes using a git manager (sublime merge, in this case).

Maybe it was my fault and mistake. Maybe it is a bug. I don’t know.

2. I moved the indexed items to the database.

Do you mean you used Move into Database from the contextual menu?

PS: I hope you are working with test data, not your live databases.

Yes.

Apparently I wasn’t that smart as I assumed it would already be safe to use. But I’ll make sure to use dummies from now on.

Also, I encountered the same issue again moving indexed files from um db to another. They simply went missing and I could not find them again.

Apparently I wasn’t that smart as I assumed it would already be safe to use. But I’ll make sure to use dummies from now on.

Remember, this is a beta test, not an “early access program”. It is meant for testing, finding/reporting bugs.

Also, there have been considerable changes to indexing in DT3. We will try to reproduce the issue.

@BLUEFROG, thanks for clearing that out.

Another possible issue. When using the search, it is odd that it finds many occurrences in the file, but lists just one of them in the sidebar.

Could you send the doc plus the search term to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com? Thanks!