DT3 - Your Favorite thing?

WOW!!! The Documentation is simply unbelievable great, everything is there…

1 Like

Thanks! It’s a work in progress and the culmination of many months, but I’m pleased (and relieved) how it has turned out. :slight_smile:

I want to try it too. What sync method are you using?

I am scared to leave Lightroom as I was using as the centrepiece of my workflow for more than 10 years but know I listen that Adobe wants to double the price of the LR+PS subscription so maybe is the moment to rethink my workflow and move to Capture One or ON Raw.
For Culling, I am using Photomechanic that is great, but not for iPad. I always think about how I can integrate DevonThink on my workflow, but I can’t figure out beyond keep some documents of the customers.

I use WebDAV through the same NAS, but another shared folder than the indexed files, and user another account.

DEVONthink is not intended as a DAM application. See this…

1 Like

Short question regarding the documentation: Is it possible to download it? I’ll have a long train ride upcoming tomorrow with no internet access most of the time (no, not even cellular :sweat:) and would love to dig deep into it. Thank you!

Sorry, but no. A PDF version should be available in the next beta build but I can’t give you a timeframe on its release.

1 Like

@Cashew90, if you have DEVONthink installed on a laptop, you can view the offline help by going to the Help menu -> DEVONthink Help

1 Like

Thank you and @BLUEFROG! “Unfortunately”, I use an iPad when being away from my desk, so I can’t use DT3. But no problem, thank you anyway. :slight_smile:

@Cashew90, I was able to take the Resources directory which contains the HTML files and folders, and upload them to my iPad Pro, and browse the files just as though I was on my Mac. I put the files and folder into the iPad Good Reader app, and it works perfectly.

I’ll gladly share the folder and its contents with you, assume that this isn’t against DEVONthink’s rule. @BLUEFROG?

1 Like

@Cashew90 should be able to do the same thing, but I will always caution people to not play around in the internals of applications, databases, etc.

2 Likes

This is what I’m wanting to do. I use OneDrive and Windows at work and my Mac at home. Keeping it in sync which this feature sounds like is my goal.

All this new functionality is well and good :slight_smile: but… I think a bigger deal should be made of the new look!

I mean, I loved DTPO and all, but one had to admit that its UI was starting to look more than a little last decade. The design overhaul is — on the whole — elegant, coherent, and blends in with the rest of macOS. It’s a joy to use … and one shouldn’t underestimate the importance of that!

The fact that the redesign is deeply intertwined with loads of new functionality is an additional bonus. Loving it, and looking forward to it getting even better during the beta process!

5 Likes

And now I’m going to have to disagree with myself! I started messing with Smart Rules last night, and their capacity to change how you automate your life could be … transformational! All this without any need to get your hands dirty with scripting … and I say this as someone who’s a programmer by trade!

Example no. 1: I often use the “scan to email” function on our office copier to send myself documents. Now I have:

• Set up a rule in Apple Mail to send the attachment of any message from the copier to DT3, then delete the message.
  • Set up a Smart Rule in DT3 to OCR any doc coming from the copier (by matching on the URL) and move it to a separate “holding” sub-group of Inbox.

But wait, I can go further…! I often scan the same documents at work, e.g. my salary slip. I can set up a Smart Rule to check every doc moved into the holding group, and if its contents match Entgeltabrechnung (German for payslip!), I can…

• File it to the correct group
  • Rename it to a useful name that includes the date (extracted from the doc)
  • Set the Custom Metadata “Date” to the date extracted from the doc

I then applied that same Smart Rule manually to the existing contents of payslips group, in order to get them all consistently named and dated. Hours of manual work that I’ve been too lazy to do for years … taken care of in seconds! And all this, I predict, is merely scratching the surface of what Smart Rules can do!

In the past, documents would pile up in my Inbox for months before I worked up the energy to file them properly. No more!

5 Likes

All this without any need to get your hands dirty with scripting

But also available to scripters! :stuck_out_tongue:
And I’m glad you mentioned this, as it’s something we specifically wrote in the documentation - check the Help > Automation > Smart Rules chapter for a starter course.

And thanks for the nice real-world example, even sans Execute Script :wink: .

The new Sorter really is wonderful. The integration with the features previously on the browser extension, very impressive. Like how it works, the ease of adding a new group and deciding where to put things. Very grateful for the screen grab feature, took a whole workflow away and simplified matters for me on that front.

I’ve a shift to do with the ‘narrow down in the sidebar’ the reduced multipane approach takes, but getting there. I still expect that if I click on a group in the first pane, an array of thumbnails should appear in the main viewer. I trip up on that from time to time, I am retraining to select the first Preview mode so to have an array of large icons when reviewing artwork or photographs.

The integrated Inbox is great, so much more efficient. That saves all the shuffling and redirection I had to do which made organising a chore.

Really enjoying the editing bar for PDFs and Web Archives for annotation.

The efficiencies in overall organisation actually opens up the space for automation for me, so I’m definitely going to check out the Smart Rules.

Wondering how I might use Reminders…

It looks great, by the way, bravo to the Design team.

1 Like

All but one thing that it was annoying in DT2 when trying to save a URL it asked you to “allow” pop out window.

Now there is no barriers with the new Sorter

My favorite feature in DT3 so far is that the annotation file (and the Finder comments) that are linked to a document are automatically shown on the right-hand side of the main window, and are editable. This feature alone would prevent me from going back to DT2.

Let me explain why. I’m an academic researcher, and I collect hundreds of research articles for each project, and each of those articles is linked to an rtf-annotation file in which I collect general notes about the article, and project-specific notes that I copy and paste to wherever I need them. So everything I ever wrote and found out about a certain research article is collected in that annotation file (or there is a DT link pointing somewhere else). By the way I also include the bibtex citation command in the annotation file, so I can easily cite it (my bibtex database is managed with BibDesk). I found out a while ago that I don’t need a specialized literature database anymore, as DT provides all the features I need. I also make extensive use of tagging in DT to organize my literature workflow within DT. The main advantage of all of this is that there exists only one copy of each research article that is then used potentially for many projects thanks to the annotation file.

Having said that, I’m looking forward to studying the excellent documentation of DT3 and finding out more about useful features that I might use in the future. This is the fun part. There is always more functionality in DT than I can handle :wink:

best

3 Likes

I work in very similar manner.

That means I hope 3.0 will add one more button in toolbar or a script that we use to create new annotation note (if none exist) or open the annotation file (if exist) in tab or in a separate document window. Under the current arrangement, I need to open inspector bar, move to the ctrl-3, click the drop-down on annotations and click open for viewing the whole annotation!

Thanks to DT, just need one more button/script to make annotation note function perfect.

1 Like