DT3's new features and DTTG

I’m still considering the switch to DT3.

I have most of my databases synced with DTTG and I am reasonably often using DTTG to look up information, so I wanted to check how the new features of DT3 (like extended metadata, etc) work in conjunction with DTTG. Can these fields be searched in DTTG?

Also, how do the query languages of DT3 and DTTG compare? From my understanding they are more similar than before. What are the differences?

Many thanks,
Leo

DEVONthink To Go 2.7.1 doesn’t support this yet but future releases will add support for features of DEVONthink 3.

The syntax is similar but not identical. And the search of version 3 offers many more options.

Per DEVONthink To Go’s Help > Appendix > Search Operators > Scope Prefixes, you can use name:, comment:, content:, and tags:.

See DEVONthink 3’s Help > Documentation > Appendix > Search Prefixes for a discussion of the prefixes and operators you can use.

Thanks for this @cgrunenberg Good to hear that updates to DTTG are planned to reflect the new features in the Mac version.

Also, what about the MultiMarkdown 6 features? - Particularly the \ at the line end for newlines instead of two spaces are a vast read- and editabilty improvement when writing line-wrapped text like poems in Markdown.

From my understanding this feature is not realised in DTTG. So does this mean the same text will be rendered differently in DT3 vs DTTG? And if so, is an update for DTTG planned?

From my understanding this feature is not realised in DTTG. So does this mean the same text will be rendered differently in DT3 vs DTTG? And if so, is an update for DTTG planned?

Yes, of course. DEVONthink To Go is not using MultiMarkdown 6 so features specific to that version wouldn’t work. And an update will be coming in the future but I cannot comment if it will support higher Markdown features. The focus is interoperability with DEVONthink 3 and some more critical fixes.

We have plans up update the editors/viewers in DEVONthink To Go, of course, and the adoption off MultiMarkdown 6 sounds like a logical choice. We don’t have any schedules to share right now, we’re afraid.

2 Likes

Thx for the details. Good to know.

DT3 is such a vast step forward - it would be a shame to leave DTTG behind for too long.

Keep up the fantastic work!