DTP 3.7 Markdown - Transclude Copy Section Link

Hey everyone

I have 2 Markdown documents. Document A and Document B. I’m trying to insert (transclude) a section (paragraph) of md text from one document to another md doc.

Document A

Header 1

Paragraph

Header 2

Paragraph

Document B

Header 1

Paragraph

Steps I tried

1. I “Copy Section Link” of Header 2 and paragraph from Document A.

2. Then I paste to document B using the syntax ![[pasted link]].

The result is the entire contents of Document A instead of just the section header 2 and paragraph.
I tried the same procedure using Item Link and got the same result, which is expected.

I thought Section Link in a md document refers to a section denoted below the header syntax?

Where did I go wrong in understanding this.

From the Manual
Copy Section Link. This copies a link to the current document, but appends a pointer to the selected paragraph.

Appreciate any help
Laird

1 Like

Tranclusion only supports full documents.
Development would have to assess the feasibility of supporting section links.

1 Like

The best solution is probably to create a new file with the section and then to transclude this file in both documents.

Thanks much… I was hoping to minimize my linked documents.

Confirmation:
So just to be clear, both “Copy Item Link” and “Copy Section Link” produce the same result (Transclude the full document) in Markdown with syntax ![[document]]?

Laird

That’s right.

Bear in mind, the native transclusion syntax is {{document}}. You’re mentioning the Obsidian syntax.

Just a clarification for anyone reading this.

2 Likes

I’m super happy with transclusion as it is. But if there’s a way to do this for sections within documents, that would be even cooler :slight_smile:

Glad to hear it!
I’ve been secretly bugging @cgrunenberg, asking if we could support it, since we switched to MultiMarkdown v6 quite some time ago. Then very recently, as I was whining, ahem… politely offering my suggestions again :stuck_out_tongue: , he suddenly said, “I have an idea…”, disappeared for a bit and boom! There you have it!

:tophat: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I just came across the “Copy Section Link” feature, but was disappointed to discover granular section-level transclusion is still not supported.

If anyone’s counting, add another tally to this feature request, please.

1 Like