DTP as a Web Browser

Hi all,

Perhaps a lame question, but is there anyway to use DTPO as a web browser? If so, how, as I don’t see a means by which to “Open New Browser Window …”, and then enter the URL of the location that I’d like to browse.

Also, if I have a URL selected (or hovered over) in a document in DTPO, how can I open said link in Safari (or my default browser), and not in DTPO?

Thanks,

KB

If so, how, as I don’t see a means by which to “Open New Browser Window …”, and then enter the URL of the location that I’d like to browse.

You could try Scripts > Tabs > Open Location.

Also, if I have a URL selected (or hovered over) in a document in DTPO,
how can I open said link in Safari (or my default browser), and not in DTPO?

Control-click > Open Link in <default browser>.

1 Like

Jim, is there anything that you don’t know about DEVONthink!?

Thanks, as usual!

Honestly? Yes, though I have over 17,000 working hours in it (mostly Pro Office). The learning curve for DEVONthink isn’t steep. It’s just a deep application with a ton of power and things to discover or make your own!

@BLUEFROG, you are so right! There is a lot of power with this application, and I’m sure that I’m only scratching the surface of its usefulness. Honestly, I do wish that I could learn more about how I could be maximizing its potential.

Find a small problem to solve and work on that.
“Necessity is the mother of invention.”

Or just give yourself time to play and discover.

I’ve been using DTPO for years. I have tons of photography ebooks in PDF format, archived emails (for the past 10+ years), financial & bank, legal, medical, family and tax documents, recipes, bills, etc. all stored in DTPO. When I have a need to find something, I’m pretty adept at locating the document in question very quickly using search terms.

However, I feel that I could be doing more with the power of the application, but I’m just not sure what that “more” is.

If you feel you’re using it effectively as your needs require, then I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. :slight_smile:

@BLUEFROG, not much makes me lose sleep, so have no fear in that regard. :rofl:

What are some of the things that you use DTPO for? Maybe I’ll start a new thread asking folks how & what they use DTP for.

• I do 90% of all my support in a DEVONthink database.
  • Finances, including keeping PDFs of all online payments.
  • Coding research.
  • Tech explorations.
  • Many test databases, for many purposes.
1 Like

You definitely should. I’d be very curious to read all the replies. :slight_smile:

1 Like