DTPO 2.0b7, Canon LiDE 100: Update to Snow Leopard killed im

There are also reports that that model doesn’t work. I’m awaiting feedback from a internal beta tester to see if it works with pb8.

Grmbl.
Any time frame for pb8?

It doesn’t seem to work unfortunately. :angry:

Darn Apple! It worked so beautifully with my canoScan! DTP was the reason I actually went out an bought this scanner (I too was going for the less expensive paperless route and was glad it worked so well).

Annard, it’s not your fault. Canon scanners DO work with DTPO2 under Snow Leopard.

I had previously posted that with my ModBook running under OS X 10.6.2 my CanoScan LIDE 500F scanner was faithfully scanning into DTPO2 pb7 using either the Image Capture or ExactScan Capture modes. That’s a true statement.

A few days ago I got a new 27-inch iMac with the quad-core i7 CPU, and 8 GB RAM. It’s fabulous.

I’ve had it hooked up to my ScanSnap and done a number of scans, but hadn’t used my Canon scanner. Having seen the recent posts on this thread, I decided to check. Result: Neither ExactScan nor Image Capture modes could find a driver for my Canon scanner. No joy.

Very recently Apple released a big download of printer/scanner drivers for Canon equipment. I decided to download and install that. Same result: No driver was found for my scanner.

OK, I did what I would normally do when installing a new scanner. I Googled “CanoScan LIDE 500F” to quickly get to Canon’s own web site page for that scanner model. I clicked on the Driver download info and found that Canon had posted a new driver, listed as 10.6 compatible, on 9 September, 2009. I downloaded it, installed it and restarted.

Joy! Scan/OCR works fine now on the iMac with my Canon scanner, both under ExactScan Capture (which I prefer) or Image Capture modes from DTPO2’s File > Import > options.

Lesson learned: While I commend Apple for including numerous printer/scanner drivers in the OS X releases, and for posting a large download file specifically for Canon equipment, I wasted hours on the assumption that these services would cover my own Canon scanner. I’m glad I’ve got a big HD, because Apple’s download/installation of Canon drivers took up about a half GB of space.

I think the problem with Apple’s installation of Canon printer/scanner software was that it installed a corrupted copy of CNQL2410_ClassicNotSeize.kext in /System/Library/Extensions/. I did Apple’s Canon drivers download and installation twice, each time getting a warning that that file was corrupt or improperly installed.

Recommendation: If you find that your scanner isn’t working properly under Snow Leopard, check the manufacturer’s Web site for that model, to see if there’s a new download specifically for it. Worked for me, and would have saved me a lot of aggravation (and disk space) if I had done that in the first place.

In my experience, Canon writes good drivers for the Mac and is responsive to OS X upgrades. I’d be surprised if there’s not a new driver for all of the Canon models mentioned in this thread (and many others as well).

@ Bill: I downloaded and tested the newest drivers (even from the australian canon website as someone suggested in some other forum). It makes no difference for me and my Lide 100.

But not all hope is lost. Here is my report on Canon LIDE 100, DTPO (pb7 and upcoming pb8) and 10.6.2:

DTPO pb7:
Scanning from within DTP using Import>Document does not work (neither via ImageCapture nor from ExactScan). Using ImageCapture outside DTP works, but it is not possible to send the scan directly to DTP in pb7. (Saving the Scan somewhere and then importing it to DTP works of course).

DTPO pb8:
With the upcoming beta things will change to the better:
Scanning externally with Image Capture and sending the result to DTP works again (you can even use the scan buttons for that) and is usable but not ideal (especially for multiple pages as annard mentioned above).

Scanning from within using Import>Document (via ImageCapture) still is broken.

But I got news from the ExactScan support that the new Version (which will be part of the DTPO pb8) will work from within DTP with the Lide 100. (I tested the new stand alone version from their website and it works fine).

So my conclusion is: With the new beta the Lide 100 will work well with DTPO (only one less important option is broken). I’m glad that I can keep my scanner. For me as for many others the Lide 100 has two advantages: it is very affordable and it is bus powered with one USB connection only.

Johannes

So when pb8 is ready, the LiDE 100 will basically be fully supported?
As in “No practical reason to spend so much more money”?

Any idead when pb8 will be ready?

I downloaded the driver as Bill suggested and exact scan works perfectly for me again!