DTPro Inbox is Locked and has read only access

My DTPro default database Inbox is Locked. It shows thee DevontThink ‘lock’ symbol next to it. After searching numerous posts on the topic and applying fixes, permission changes with terminal, checking for lock in Get Info finder window, I have been unable to unlock the database. Interestingly, when accessing in Finder, the database file at location ~/Library/Application Support/Devonthink Pro 2, the file name: Inbox.dtBase2, and inspecting with ‘Show Package Contents’ I can see the lock file named: Devonthink.lock. I delete this file and then I watch that directory as I launch DTPro and see the file created again at that time.

Am I missing something in the DTPro interface that would allow me to easily unlock this inbox? Note: I have 4 other databases and those are fine.

Just a note… It’s really not wise to start deleting files that look promising.

1. Right-click (Control-click) the database and choose “Show in Finder”.
  2. Quit DEVONthink.
  3. In the Finder, move the Inbox.dtBase2 file to the Desktop.
  4. Remove the .dtBase2 extension from the database file. The operating system will ask if this is ok - it is.
  5. Press Command-I to bring up the Info window.
  6. At the bottom make sure the permissions for your Account are set to “Read & Write”.
  7. Click the button with the gear icon choose “Apply to enclosed items…”.
  8. After this, add the .dtBase2 extension to the file, move it back to the App Support/DEVONthink Pro 2 folder and double-click it to relaunch DEVONthink.

Hello Bluefrog - Thank you very much for your reply and suggestion. I normally wouldn’t go down the road of deleting files that I don’t know anything about. However, I found that particular suggestion elsewhere on this forum in relation to this issue.

I applied your instructions, but no joy. The Inbox database is still showing as locked. I am open to any ideas/suggestions. Perhaps there is a way to preserve what is in the locked inbox and create a new one and move my info back into the new database?

Do me a favor… Start a Support Ticket at our DEVONtechnologies Support Ticket System and we’ll go a bit deeper on this. Thank you.

Well, I have the same problem. I applied the fix suggested and no go. Did you guys ever figure this out??

I am having the same problem as well.
Have performed the fixes suggested, but the databases still open as read only.

Any other suggestions?

As Jim suggested above, open a support ticket. The forum method is lousy at resolving issues like this.

I have this same problem, did anyone get a work around?

Thanks

This thread is seven years old. Probable best to open a support ticket rather than trying to troubleshoot using info that old. That is, unless you are running DEVONthink 2 on Snow Leopard! :grin:

2 Likes