DTTG is non-functional on iOS 8

You fixed it! Thanks for your attentiveness and expertise. It is much appreciated by us DT users - in my case a user since the early days of DT, and my work and life is organised around it! :smiley:

Running DTTG 1.5 on iPad Air & iOS 8.0.2, and still no RTF support. Crashes and breaks every time I try to open one. Very disabling. Is this a fault with iOS, or did Apple just change something that needs adapting to? Can we know already?

Quite curious: RTFD web capture as in .webarchive-style web capture, or…?

The broken RTF support was due to changes in iOS 8 that removed RTF support in WebKit. The crash in 1.5 is my fault, a last-minute change with a typo.

I’ve already sent an update to Apple but they rejected it. I fixed the issue Apple reported and now we’re waiting for another review round. I hope they’ll approve it soon.

1.5.1: RTF still broken. It’s been 6 weeks. My other apps all updated and working.
Please tell us if this is not a priority for you and I’ll look for alternatives.

I’ve tested a ton of RTFs and RTFDs here. Could you please email me an RTF that does not work (eboehnisch (at) devontechnologies.com).

It is a priority here but please understand that everything on iOS has to go through Apple’s review; if they reject it for whatever reason it again takes a week or more before they even look at the update.

Eric, as I have noted on a parallel thread to this, just creating a brand new RTF file in DTTG with the single word ‘test’ causes it to crash when the file is re-selected. So it doesn’t seem to be related to anything special about the files that users have created and synced. What I have noticed though is that (some) files that have kind-RTFD in DTPO on the Mac do not crash, whereas ones that have kind-RTF in DTPO do crash on DTTG. I will send you one of each.

Same result here on 8.1 on an Air. I also reset DTTG (in iOS Settings > DTTG) and with a clean slate, all data deleted, tried @khw’s test. Crashes every time a new RTF is created – the crash also deletes the RTF.

Eric, this may be significant: all the RTF files that cause a crash on the iPad Air 2 with iOS 8.1 work perfectly on an iPhone 5 with iOS 8.1. I can also create a new RTF file on the iPhone without it crashing. So for me at least the crashing seems to be iPad-specific.

See the other thread: The crash was related to devices with A7 processor only. I have fixed it, a new release will go to Apple as soon as possible.

This may be off topic for this thread but it seems the closest fit.

Over the same time frame, I have found that DTTG will not load at all on my iPad3.

I have been patiently waiting for the updates to be released by Apple. Good news, I thought, this morning - a new update. 1.5.2 - not sure why this just showed up today when others have it sooner but I do not aggressively update all apps all the time.

Installed 1.5.2 - does not help. DTTG opens then closes immediately.

Now, I note that the main concern seems to revolve around iOS 8 not being able to handle RTFD documents. But two things about this do not fit for me:

1. I am not running iOS8.
  2. I’m pretty sure I don’t have any RTFD docs in my DTTG repository. (Have not been able to open it for some time now so I don’t know for sure.)

So, is there more to this than we think?

Can someone tell me where the DTTG documents are stored on the iPad and what tool to use to examine these data stores? Maybe I can extract the docs, and if needed, delete troublesome ones.

Just to make myself a little more clear… I need some way to examine the files directly on the iPad.

If I look in the Global Inbox for DTP, there are several files that reside on the iPad that are not in Global Inbox… so possibly it is one of these that is causing the problem.

I also need a way to extract these and save them. I note from a number of other postings in the Forum that one suggested fix is to delete the app or the Inbox contents and try syncing again… but I don’t want to lose what I have stored on my iPad.

You can pull the “Emergency export switch” in DEVONthink To Go’s Settings. Then kill and re-launch DEVONthink To Go and it should export all files in a format downloadable through iTunes.

As for the RTFs: Apple yesterday approved version 1.5.3. As far as I can tell from our crash logger we have no more crashes related to the RTF editor so far “out there in the wild”.

Eric

At $30 it’s not exactly cheap, but iMazing: http://imazing.com should do the trick. DTTG is listed as one of the apps when I connect my iPad Air, and I can “quickview” and delete the specific PDF’s listed in the documents folder.

Not sure what that will do to DTTG the next time you fire it up - and I’m not going to try this - but since you asked, that would (presumably) be a tool that could be used [there might be other freeware options as well, or some terminal script that could do the same - but I know next to nothing of the latter, and was lucky enough to get DiskAid/iMazing on discount].

Excellent two tips. Thanks, guys.

I will try these out and let people know what happens after tweaking with imazing app.

Hmm, tried that just now. Seemed to launch then crash in about the same amount of time as usual. No time spent exporting but there is not a huge amount of data so hopefully it worked. But when I looked in iTunes, did not see anything there. Will try again later. Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot in iTunes.

You should find a .zip archive in the Apps > File Sharing section. If the app crashes before it can export everything, then of course no archive would be generated.

Good news. Managed to retrieve my old files using the backup to iTunes option. Thanks for this.

Bad news. 1.5.3 installed - would not load. Reset the running apps. Tried again. Still no go.
Applied the troubleshooting option to reset the databases in DTTG on the iPad DTTG Settings.
Still will not load.

What now?

Tried again with the Troubleshooting | Reset at Startup switch.

DTTG 1.5.3 will still not launch.

I note on going back into the iPad settings that the Reset switch seems to be turned off each time. I presume that DTTG unsets this at each launch - I only mention this in case this is part of the problem.

I cleared an existing database on my iPad Air 1 and updated to DEVONthink To Go 1.5.3.

Imported a couple of databases that contain RTF and RTF(D) files, which had been problematic after installing OS 8.

Success!! I was able to open and view RTF and RTF(D) documents. Delighted to be able to open rich text files containing images. Only exception was a very large RTF(D) file (over 2 MB) which froze DEVONthink To Go. Not really a problem here, as that’s not a common rich text file size in my databases.