DTTG not syncing correctly from Mac (Inbox / deleting items)

I keep encountering an issue where the inbox doesn’t sync correctly to DTTG. I delete the files from my Mac, let it sync but very often DTTG still has them in the inbox.
If I delete on DTTG first, it disappears correctly on Mac.

If I rename files on the Mac, they rename correctly on iOS but if I move or delete them, they often keep sticking around (even outside the inbox but it’s the most noticeable there). Sometimes the iOS version creates duplicates that are not getting synced back on Mac.

I tried deleting the app multiple times and re-install / re-sync from scratch and for the first couple times it works fine, but then goes back to not wanting to sync.

I also noticed that at first when it works, the inbox is called “Global Inbox” on DTTG but later gets renamed to just “Inbox”, not sure if that means anything.

I tried with Dropbox, iCloud and both at the same time as sync backends but this problems keeps popping up.

I am using DEVONthink 3 on my Mac with Mojave, and iOS 13 on my iPad and iPhone but the same issues happened on iOS 12 before I installed the beta.

Any ideas how to debug this?

1 Like

Sometimes the iOS version creates duplicates that are not getting synced back on Mac.

DEVONthink - Mac or mobile doesn’t randomly create duplicates. It’s likely you have the sync conflicts setting to Duplicate documents.

In DEVONthink To Go 2, select Help > Contact Us to start a Support Ticket. Thanks!

PS: iOS 13 is a ​beta ​operating system. Unless you are explicitly beta testing and reporting, you should not run a beta operating system on a device you need operating as expected.

The problems were already there before upgrading to iOS13

The duplicates I am talking about are very odd. They aren’t the usual duplicates that I experiences a few times with DT because they aren’t even syncing back. They literally only exist on the iOS device.

I’ll create a ticket!