DTTG & Pages on the iPad

I saw the round trip of PDFs in and out of iAnnotate to synch back to the same file in DTTG http://www.devon-technologies.com/scripts/userforum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=11878#p55648 .

I tried something like that with Pages, but I’m not finding a way to get the edited RTF back to DTTG on the iPad itself.

Is there a way to do it?

I have not found a solution. It seems that this is not possible.

One way to roundtrip documents from Pages or Numbers on iPad is to use Copy > Export to iDisk in one of those apps, send the document in Doc or Excel format (respectively) to iDisk, then use the iPad iDisk app to send the document to DTTG – and then sync to the desktop.

The roundtrip does not work using native Pages or Numbers format – for those formats the iPad will not offer to open the document in DTTG. It also does not work with Keynote documents in either Keynote or Powerpoint format. Again, the iPad will not offer to open the document in DTTG.

However, you may export the document as PDF in any of the three iWork apps, and roundtrip the PDF to DTTG. The three apps also offer exports to WebDAV (if you have a WebDAV device and don’t have or want to use iDisk). Or you can export from iPad iWork to an email attachment, and then Open With DTTG from Mail.

But why is it not possible to open the Pages format in DTTG? I can open this format in several other iPad Apps. An “Open in” in Good Reader offers 5 Apps to choose from. Would be nice if DTTG was one of them.

Birgitt

This needs to be specifically stated. We might add this to a future version of DEVONthink To Go.

Oh, if I may indulge in some priority advocacy here. By enabling the pages-DTTG connections, you give functionality for RTF on the iPad. That’s a huge advance in features!

There is a danger of the user forgetting to export in RTF for pages, but either way, it gives rich text editing and apart from the PDF annotations mentioned elsewhere, rich text is the next biggest chunk! That would be huge! Then, nearly every kind of document (PDF, text, RTF) can be edited on the go without using the cloud in the middle.

If given a choice between moving records and RTF editing, RTF editing wins. Making an easy cycle for RTF editing through pages would be priceless for on to go functionality.

On the other hand, I can wait for moving records on the go, but not long! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

+++ 1 for the Pages-DTTG connection.

… but on my iPad Pages exports in PDF, .doc and .pages — please tell me I’m missing something about .rtf in the app:(

Thanks and noted - we will review for a future enhancement if possible.

I’m considering whether to buy DTTG now, or wait. The deal-breaker currently is no rtf editing, which I gather is a problem in general on the iPad.

Would the NoteMaster app work to edit externally, then move into DTTG? Any other suggestions?

I already use iAnnotate for PDFs. There are a g’zillion notes apps for plain text, no problem. It sounds like there’s an internal web browser in DTTG to capture web links/pages. Is that correct?

Thanks.

So I just realized NoteMaster is for iPhone only… sorry. :frowning:

Further investigation into rtf looks like it is no-go for everybody because it’s proprietary to Microsoft! I thought the whole point of using rtf was that it was a universal, open format that would endure forever… along with PDF.

Isn’t this a huge problem for DevonThink, Scrivener – all my favorite apps?

I would be happy to work in another format as long as I can bold, italic, color, change fonts, and otherwise mark up text in basic ways.

I suppose the next step is to settle on .docx or .pages format for all my writing. I hate to move to a word processing format, and I’m not a huge fan of either Word or Pages. :frowning:

Any thoughts on html, xml, markdown – ??? What kind of work flow would that involve to use my favorite apps, both on my Mac and on my iPad?

No korm… unfortunately, I must have imagined it in a daydream at some point. Probably in the time while I was awaiting Scrivener 2.0 and DTTG and commencing my wandering mind upon setting up a nice workflow.

nonetheless, I’m surprised apple hasn’t ported textutil to iOS… more intriguingly is why none of the jailbreaker people have. after all, they are the ones always trumpeting the great achievements permissible by their craft. I refuse to jailbreak because I don’t want my machine running unsigned apps while connected to safari on AT&T’s network, but hey, that’s merely risk intolerance on my part, right?

…hmmmm I’m not smart enough to know why textutil wouldn’t run on the iOS. Is it a kext thing, or is it UI? surely Pages has it bundled in order to do its magic or is it using NStext?

maybe in iOS 7.1 it was in System 7 that some many early mac maladies remedied, so perhaps that will be the magic iOS version, too.

Oddly, Lion and the Back to Mac preview reminded me of the multifinder days, and system 6 days. Sure, the screen is more glitzy, but the function is so much like the mac of old.

Hmm. I was naively thinking that so long as I was using Pages or Keynote, I could synchronize with DTTG and edit on the iPad. Apparently not.

I understand that there are circuitous options involving rtf, but–having fiddled with those over the last year in other contexts–I don’t find them adequate (because I don’t write plain-vanilla text documents while leaving formatting, figures, etc. until later). Thus, as the DT team sets its goals, I hope that it doesn’t settle for some edit-on-the-iPad option that requires exporting, importing, editing of rtf, etc. Whether Apple has to cooperate at some point in the loop is not clear to me. I would have thought opening in Pages from DTTG would work. Oh well. There is a lot of room ahead.

Another aspect of all this is that building software to exploit rtf is apparently not all that easy because it’s not perfect even in Mellel, which is very good software.

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I assumed simple functionality as such would be a part of DTTG.

integration with Pages definitely needed! And I can’t even “open” email attachments (i.e. send them) to DT. What’s up with that?