DTTG Syncing - Do I have to open the app and wait?

When I Clip items in DTTG sometimes they do not show up the same day in DT3.

Do I need to open DTTG and wait for the entire sync to complete after I clip something?

Can I open DTTG and then switch to some other app or turn off the phone display and have it sync in the background?

When I Clip items in DTTG sometimes they do not show up the same day in DT3.

When you clip items how? If you’re referring to using the Sharing extension to clip from mobile Safari to DEVONthink To Go, that would be highly unusual

Do I need to open DTTG and wait for the entire sync to complete after I clip something?

Wait for what entire sync" ? Are you trying to clip into a database that hasn’t yet been imported into DEVONthink To Go?

Can I open DTTG and then switch to some other app or turn off the phone display and have it sync in the background?

DTTG should be in the foreground and the mobile device awake for the initial sync. The Background App Refresh option is controlled entirely by iOS and only allows approximately a 30 second window, when it allows it to happen. This means we can’t control if, when, or how long it happens. Subsequent syncs are faster since there’s less data being transferred.​

Yes, that is what I mean. I am trying to create a bookmark in DT3 for something I found on my iPhone. The database already exists in DT3 and the first sync to DTTG has been done - I am trying to add additional items.

That explains it then - if I don’t open the app and wait for the sync in the foreground, then the timing of the sync is pretty random and unpredictable.

The reason for the delay seems to be that it is not just uploading what I clipped; it is syncing with my other databases also to see if there are things to download.

I suspect the solution is for me to be very selective with what I sync to my phone - maybe have a separate database just for that purpose.

What sync method are you using?

then the timing of the sync is pretty random and unpredictable.

For Background App Refresh, yes this is quite correct.

The reason for the delay seems to be that it is not just uploading what I clipped; it is syncing with my other databases also to see if there are things to download.

Yes, sync does not happen immediately. It works on a relatively short interval and also depends on what is queued up at the moment.

I suspect the solution is for me to be very selective with what I sync to my phone - maybe have a separate database just for that purpose.

If you have no need for many gigabytes of data you will not reasonably need to access in iOS, a smaller syncing database is often a good idea.

1 Like

I just deleted from sync a larger database I don’t really need on the iPhone… everything else then synced immediately.

So that will be the plan.

Thanks

1 Like

I just deleted from sync a larger database I don’t really need on the iPhone

I think that is a very wise and commendable approach and one I hope more people will stop and consider as well. :slight_smile: