DTTG syncing with different total item numbers

Hello,

I got a new install of DTTG 3.7.8 (17408) on my iPad and my iPhone and the total amount of items differs from the amount of items shown on my two Macs (both show the same amount of items).

Mac mini - 13498
MacBook air - 13498
iPad - 13003
iPhone - 13425

Of course I can not trust in DTTG before all items are the same on all the devices.

I already tried to check and repair the database, but no issues have been found.

And yes, I did sync the iPad and iPhone lately, several times…

Would be great to get an input on what I could do. Should I de- and reinstall DTTG again? Is there any other advice you could give me? Thank you!

Kind regards!
IronButterfly

Ps.: I did find a topic similar to mine, but it has been from 2020 and the problem still persists:
/t/item-count-different-in-mac-iphone-n-ipad/56601/4

1 Like

Welcome @ironbutterfly

Note: Reinstallation is not an early troubleshooting technique. You shouldn’t even be thinking about it until much later in the process. This isn’t an old Windows machine with a bad installation :wink:

As is noted in our FAQ, our documentation, and spoken of frequently on these forums, the first thing to look at is:

• What is reported in DEVONthink’s Window > Log?
  • Is there a triangle on the sync icon in DEVONthink To Go’s bottom toolbar? If so, tap it. What is reported?

Thank you, @BLUEFROG,

both, iPad and iPhone do not have a triangle in the sync icon of DTTG. No errors are being reported. In the two logfiles created, when opening an email to contact your support, the only content is “databases” in both files.

Go ahead and start a support ticket from one of the mobile devices. But do remember it’s still the weekend so it will be tomorrow before i get to it. :slight_smile:

Hi @BLUEFROG,

did you receive my e-mail I did send you 8 days ago?

What is the ticket number you were given?

I just realized, that my email has been hanging in the outbox. Sorry. I did send it anew.

No worries :slight_smile:

Thank you! I just received the answer to my new mail with the thread: “sync types explained”. I will consider it. Have a great day!

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I switched from iCloud to Dropbox. Still having some problems with DTTG.

For illustration here are the numbers:
MacBook - 15734 items - 9175 tags
Mac Mini - 15734 items - 9175 tags
iPad - 15733 items - 8874 tags
iPhone - 15704 items - 9054 tags

As far as I can see it, the items are not missing, but the numbers are wrong in DTTG.

I recommend the developers to sync the total numbers from the macOS-Version as well and then let the software check, if the numbers are the same. If not, the software should “search” for the missing files or rebuild the index. Would that be a solution?

I would delete the database on the mobile devices and import them afresh.

Thanks! I will do so, but it’s a new database I just freshly imported < 24 hours ago.

From the Dropbox account?

Yes, @BLUEFROG, yesterday I deleted my old database from iCloud (Database A) and imported the new database from dropbox (Database B). Now, I have been repeating the procedure as recommended. The result is, that iPad and iPhone are now in sync with the item numbers. Thank you! But, the tags are still different from the macOS version and differ from iPad to iPhone. Is there a possibility to manually make the DTTG rebuild the “parents”? This could maybe help.

So, I still would suggest, that DTTG should compare the numbers of items and tags with the numbers of the macOS version, that should be stored in the database. So, a possible mistake could be realized and the missing files could be searched or the index could be rebuilt. What do you think?

I’m a little confused about your explanation. You are not storing the databases on iCloud and/or Dropbox, but only using them for sync? And when we re-did things you did not “clean” the Dropbox sync store? If yes, could this re-use have anything to do with the discrepancies you see?

Me, I’d “clean” all sync locations, and really start fresh.

So, I still would suggest, that DTTG should compare the numbers of items and tags with the numbers of the macOS version, that should be stored in the database. So, a possible mistake could be realized and the missing files could be searched or the index could be rebuilt. What do you think?

That’s up to development to assess.

yesterday I deleted my old database from iCloud (Database A) and imported the new database from dropbox (Database B).

As noted, your database is not in the cloud of any kind. Did you delete the database from DEVONthink To Go on the mobile device ? That’s what I suggested.

I meant “deleted of” and not “deleted from”. Sorry.

No worries!
You can reopen your ticket to discuss details off to the side.

This question is still open…

Where could I leave my suggestion. Do you have a channel for input like that?