DTTG user organize related files

I only use DTTG as I don’t have a Mac. I see that there is a merge file option in the Max edition of DT but I was wondering how users of DTTG organize related files? I have the slides plus my notes and the transcripts of the presentation. How would you organize these files in DTTG?

I have current have a group called accounting and a subgroup called presentations. I was hoping to have one spot for all three files. It looks like I may have to have a group under presentations.

I’m a tagger
I also use inter-note links
Where appropriate, I use a Table-of-Contents note with links to the related documents

I have the slides plus my notes and the transcripts of the presentation … It looks like I may have to have a group under presentations.

I’d create a group, tagged !Accounting-Presentations
Merging the files wouldn’t be a good plan

Welcome @jcthink

Let me reverse the question: How would you organize these files…?

Unless you’re working in a collaborative scenario, building a database is very subjective and personal thing. How you think about data segregation and organization is not necessarily how someone else thinks about it.

And my follow up question: If you were organizing in the Finder, how would you do it?
Apply that to DEVONthink (To Go) and work from there.

1 Like

@BLUEFROG

How would you organize these files…?
Based on my past experience with Evernote and OneNote, I would add or append documents together so that all of the information relating to a specific event (such as a presentation) would be on one note. I guess I’m using my prior experiences on DT which might be the wrong approach.

f you were organizing in the Finder, how would you do it?
I don’t have experience with Finder on the Mac.

Are you coming from Windows?

When I imported from Evernote, this became a Group
The “note” would contain links to the other files

Yes. I use Windows for a home computer and my mobile devices are IOS.

Inter-file links might be the answer but it just seems necessary for the user to create links when an append/merge function seems cleaner. I believe the merge option does exist in DT just not DTTG.

@DTLow I tried using the inter-note links approach but the links don’t see to be working. I uploaded into a presentation folder both the transcript of the webinar and the audio recording. DT recognized the transcript as plain text and the recordings as media documents. I clicked on one of the media documents and selected “copy item link” which i pasted into the transcript file. The link had the address x-devonthink-item://… and was blue. I clicked on the blue link but nothing happens. Is there a step that I missed?

I don’t think plain text supports click-able links
You can right click the link > Open Link

Only in case of links marked by data detectors.