DTTG vs Devonthink(mac) email link format difference?

If I have a message in Apple Mail on macOS, I can work with a URL to that message directly, for example of the format

message://%3CCAPyvLF26Bd%3DfBUtYK%3DAndAMBMqjJ12Szc_OaBrOxhsEe43U%3DNw%40mail.gmail.com%3E

If I import that Mail message into Devonthink on Mac, either by using the importer or dragging and dropping, I get an item link URL from DEVONthink of this format:

x-devonthink-item://%3CCAPyvLF26Bd=fBUtYK=AndAMBMqjJ12Szc_OaBrOxhsEe43U=Nw@mail.gmail.com%3E

On iPad, dragging the same email into the inbox or importing it by other means (with a passage through Yoink, for instance) I get an item URL from DTTG of this format:

x-devonthink-item://291AF45A-C897-40DD-A8AF-CC5B384ED5DD

That’s expected behavior, not doubt. Is there anyway to unify the formats? The way it works on Mac is great, because if I link to an email in Mail (using that link for instance somewhere in a notepad or in a planner) and then later move it from Mail to permanent archive in DT, the predictable change in link format lets me modify the link in my planner software with a straightforward text replacement. Not so on iPad/DTTG…

On iPad, dragging the same email into the inbox or importing it by other means (with a passage through Yoink, for instance) I get an item URL from DTTG of this format:

What same email - the email you added in DEVONthink then synced to DEVONthink To Go?
Or an email you dragged for iOS Mail into DEVONthink To Go?

Ah yes, good question, I should’ve been more specific. The latter. The same email when dragged in iOS from iOS Mail to DTTG gives an item with a very different Item Link format than if that email was added to DEVONthink on the Mac

No worries!
I guess I’d expect the current behavior but Development would have to assess this.

Thank you Blue. How do I get Development to become aware of this? Shall I put a note in the Feedback section of this forum?

Development also participates in these forums.

Email messages are the only files that get a special UUID derived from the identifier IMAP gives to the message. On iOS, DEVONthink To Go always generates a new UUID for whatever data comes in including email messages.

@aedwards, could we give imported email messages the same UUID derived from the email when dropping them into DEVONthink To Go?

I’m not expecting an immediate resolution to this - or maybe you’ll decide against it - but I thought another mention of this question can’t hurt :wink:

We have it on our list for future improvements.

2 Likes