DTTG3 Journal as in DT desktop?

In the new DTTG would it be possible to have a sort of Daily Journal like in DT desktop?

thanks

The potential to create an entry in Markdown exists as we have new Shortcut actions for DEVONthink To Go 3 but no template is currently available.

Specifically, which features are you looking for?

Basically I would like to have an entry a day (collecting different daily lines grouped by day as in Drafts) like a “page a day”, collected per month…

The DTTG and DT Journal should update the same file.

Sorry, I don’t know Drafts
I create a Journal note each day
. just a document that I add lines throughout the day

Entries are sync’d and the list is available in DTTG and DTP

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 14.18.17

AFAIK you use Pages, isn’t? I prefer an App independent way, Text or MD based

Thanks anyway

The format isn’t significant.
DT includes built-in editors for various formats including Text and MD

Ok, but…
in this case you write your daily journal “outside” DT? Could you please be clearer? TIA

It’s really not significant
I’m not a markdown user so I don’t use the MD format/editor
I have a complex layout, and am still experimenting with the format
I experienced rendering differences between DTP and DTTG
Pages was an easy solution

Im not sure but I see that drafts is a good place to write short notes and then have them sent to Devonthink. Has anyone created actions that will automatically transfer draft notes made during the day, conversations etc and automatically add them to the DT journal?

Why not just make the notes directly in DEVONthink or DEVONthink To Go?

1 Like

I think Gerry is looking for

so do I…

I do… constantly - DT and DTTG are simply fantastic and I am a serious fan (albeit technically very limited). “Drafts” however does seem to offer some additional flexibility - especially on an Ipad… in quick “capture” and built in communication with Todoist, Bear etc. It has a strong ability to edit (’ back edit?") that I haven’t experienced elsewhere. I may be underestimating DT and am willing to learn more.

No doubt in my mind that Drafts and DTTG on the iPad are good already.

I love DT and DTTG, but if I could change one thing, it would be that currently files you open on DTTG aren’t recognised by DT as having been opened. This renders a journal in DT useless for me, because I can’t record what files I’ve been using (discussed here previously) - or why (though obviously I’d have to add that bit manually, DTTG is not a mind-reader… yet).

It’s actually rendered recording what files I’ve used via automation fairly useless generally, as most my reading is done in DTTG and I have no log of that. I use DT when I’m actually at my desk working, so it’s only logging files I later accessed in the course of writing, etc. (Don’t @ me about reading being working when you’re a knowledge worker. I know it is and I really need to not use phrasing like this, but you know what I mean! Although DT not logging what you read in DTTG just furthers that divide between input and output, for me :upside_down_face:) Because of this issue, and because I decided life was too short to manually record this, I’ve given up keeping a journal in DT. (I left the script running in case I ever have an emergency where I need to know what files I opened in DT on a specific date… unsurprisingly I have not looked in that folder since I abandoned the journal :rofl:)

[This is very much a “first world problem” - I realise I’m complaining because my devices don’t magically log what I am doing for me and I’d have to do it myself :joy:]

I have been experimenting with interstitial journalling in NotePlan recently (sidenote: I just got that link out of DTTG, I love it when I use DT to pull a reference for a post in the DT forum). It’s quite interesting. I’ve not been doing it long enough (or consistently enough) to see if it’s actually helpful, but it’s sort of what I’d originally aimed to create in DT: a time-stamped log of what I’d interacted with, why, and any thoughts. In NotePlan, it ends up being a log of tasks I completed, or didn’t complete, with notes on what I did. It doesn’t link to any of my files outside NotePlan and is mostly a log of my time.

Anyway, I find this whole topic fascinating. I’m very keen on journalling/maintaining logs generally, and I love learning what other people do, and where their friction points are (it tells you a lot about workflows, to learn what isn’t working).

Seems like another one of those “should be simple to do”, e.g. for every open/close (at minimum) log that action somewhere. Sort of like “History” in a web browsers. But of course things never as simple as they seem! The “why” and “thoughts” part might be difficult to automate.

I like the idea, but personally not something I would be interested in tracking as I don’t get that detailed in logging things. But I can see where that important for some.

When I feel the need to log things, I open a text file in it’s own and add notes, prefixed with the date and time. I have a few date “snippets” setup in Alfred to quickly enter a time stamp, e.g. “; d t 1” (spaces so it doesn’t fire just now) to produce “20230410102036”–of course using other suffix numbers produces other more user friendly formats for date/time, but you get the idea.

Having been prompted by this idea, I find myself doing this right now as a I read/critically-review a ~180page PDF where log my notes/questions/etc and now time stamping. No reason for me to do this right now other than your post, diverting my boring reading, made me think of it. :wink:

1 Like

But is there a „close“ with records in DT(TG)? I ever only use open by (double) clicking. So does an open of one record entail an implicit close of the previously opened one?

Where is that? Not familiar.