Duplicate entries in DevonSphere See Also

Hi,

I’m currently testing Devonsphere and like it so far.

What I noticed is that, in a database with groups not excluded from tagging, items contained as replicants in several groups produce duplicates in DevonSphere’s See Also.

Here’s a screenshot:
Screenshot 2022-04-12 at 15.42.28

Perhaps this could be addressed in a future release?

Cheers

Thanks for the report! Development will have to assess this. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Are these items definitely located in the same database and are not duplicates? Actually the number of replicants shouldn’t matter, just like in case of DEVONthink’s search.

@cgrunenberg The items are in the same database and definitely don’t have duplicates. However, it seems that the number of displayed duplicates in DevonSphere actually doesn’t coincide with the number of replicants. So probably something else is causing the behavior. Will share any potentially relevant observations - let me know if there’s anything you’d like me to try in the meantime.

Is DEVONthink running at the same and the database opened? Or is the Spotlight index of the database enabled? In that case rebuilding the Spotlight index first and then updating DEVONsphere’s index might fix this.

Yes to both. Will try rebuilding the Spotlight index and report back

I rebuilt the DevonThink index via the database properties menu. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled Devonsphere before updating the index. Unfortunately, the issue persists… I’m sure this is something local on my system - nevertheless appreciate advice on any further troubleshooting steps.

One observation: The duplicates only seem to show when using a browser (Brave & Safari), and when searching manually. If I select a DT database item or a local file, then no duplicates appear.

A screenshot of Preferences > Categories and Preferences > Locations would be useful. In addition, are the items in your database imported or indexed?

Sure, here are the screenshots:

All items in my database are imported, except one folder with MD items.

In case it’s relevant, here’s a screenshot of my main DT database’s properties:

Are the results correct if DEVONthink is not running concurrently?

Results are the same as seen in the screenshots above for the domains discourse.devontechnologies.com and economist.com with DevonThink closed.

Do the folders ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/DEVONthink 2 or ~/Library/Caches/Metadata/DEVONthink Pro 2 still exist on your system and contain any data?

And how many folders does the folder ~/Library/Metadata/com.devon-technologies.think3 contain and how many of your databases have the Spotlight index enabled?

Those first two folders don’t exist on my system.

Here’s a screenshot of the ~/Library/Metadata/com.devon-technologies.think3 folder.

Screenshot 2022-04-13 at 11.22.34

Only the main database has Spotlight enabled.

Why have you added your home directory to the Locations?
This is not suggested.
You should be using more targeted locations, e.g., the ones built in by default.

How old are the folders having a .noindex suffix? None of them was actually created by DEVONthink and this causes the duplicate results.

Those folders were about a week old. Strange if they shouldn’t have been created by DevonThink, as I also didn’t create them manually.

Also, deleting the .noindex folders did not solve the issue. However, removing the user folder from Locations as per Jim’s comment did (see below).

After changing the locations to just the Databases and Documents folders, and then updating the DevonSphere index the duplicates disappear. If I add the user folder back to Locations and reindex DevonSphere, they reappear so this seems to have been the direct cause.

Thanks for the support to both of you. It seems I need to get my (sometimes) unhealthy tendency to deviate from defaults in check :sweat_smile: