EasyFind: How find files that have ONLY specified name.

How do you do the following kind of search in EasyFind? I have tried all of the Operators to no avail…

I want to find all files (or folders) that have an exact word and ONLY that word - NOT files/folders that contain part of the word in their title.

For instance, say there are two files (or folders): One called “azxs”; and the other called “azxs asd”. I want to find the item that is just called “azxs”, but all my searches come back with both - how do you search to only get “azxs”?

Note that in my examples above the " " marks are not part of the file name.

Thanks

Just switch to Unix wildcards, enter the name and the desired results should be returned (as long as the name does not contain any characters used for wildcards).

Thanks for the tip, but when I switch to Unix-Wildcards, the find will only work as I want (see first post) on folders. It will not show files. So how do I do the search and have it work on both files and folders?

I’ve just checked this and it seems to be working as expected. Could you please post a screenshot of the EasyFind window? Thanks!

Same here, no files, only folders found (OS 10.7.4, EasyFind 4.9, EF cache and plists deleted):

According to the first post…

…this should be the desired behaviour. Only items with the name “azxs” are returned but there are no files with such a name.

Doch. There is an .rtf named “azxs” on the desktop, see screenshot.

I believe it is not showing in the results because when searching on Unix-Wildcards, file extensions are considered part of the document name. The rtf document is named “azxs.rtf”.

That’s right, the full name (including the extension) is used. But the search term azxs.* should find this file (and others) with extensions.

And it does, but this time excluding folders of course.

I understood the opener’s request so, that given these files and folders:
Screen-Shot-2012-06-15-at-15.08.10.png
… he wants to perform a search, that only returns the folder and file labeled orange, but not the ones labeled red.

That’s not possible as the wildcard is different for files and folders, at least for files with extensions and therefore most of them.

thanks for all the opinions on this issue; however, no one has really answered my question that I originally posted. I have tried the ideas suggested in the thread, but none of them work. So to reiterate:

I want to find all files (or folders) that have an exact word and ONLY that word - NOT files/folders that contain part of the word in their title.

For instance, say there are two files (or folders): One called “azxs”; and the other called “azxs asd”. I want to find the item that is just called “azxs”, but all my searches come back with both - how do you search to only get “azxs”?

Note that in my examples above the " " marks are not part of the file name.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

In case of files with extensions enable Unix wildcards and enter “word.*” (without quotes), in case of folders (or files without extensions) enter “word” (without quotes).