EasyFind wants Automation Privileges but doesn't appear in that prefpane

Re-installing EasyFind I tried to use it to search my ~/Library folder and up popped the dialog asking me to add it to the System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Automation area - but the app does not appear there, so this is impossible.

I tried dragging it into the pane, but that didn’t work…

You can’t manually add to the Automation preferences.
Have you given it Full Disk Access?

Yes, I had given it Full Disk Access, but —an update: I was trying to search the ~/Library folder by selecting “Location: Active Finder Window” (the ~/Library folder being the 'active Finder window), and doing that, it didn’t work.

But using “Select…” instead, and taking advantage of Default Folder’s ability to select open windows by clicking on top of them in ‘open’ dialogs, it worked.

@cgrunenberg: I can confirm this condition here. Setting EasyFind to the active Finder window prompts for Automation access but no entry is created in the Security preferences.

@cgrunenberg @BLUEFROG Has a solution been found to this issue? Same problem here in a managed environment, since upgrading to Catalina, currently running 10.15.7. EasyFind Version 5.0.1

No. Other projects have currently a much higher priority than freeware, I’m sorry.

Hi everyone,

cgrunenberg, it’s a pity that you answer in that way for such a good app. I am sure that if you charge money for it, it’ll sell.

Anyway, a workaround is to right mouse button on the folder you want to search in, services and EasyFind: Find in Path…

That would have been a better answer :wink: and it works fine

Thanks

If you’re Mac is enrolled in MDM, a profile like this will take care of the issue:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>PayloadContent</key>
	<array>
		<dict>
			<key>PayloadDescription</key>
			<string>Configures Privacy Preferences Policy Control settings</string>
			<key>PayloadDisplayName</key>
			<string>Privacy Preferences Policy Control</string>
			<key>PayloadIdentifier</key>
			<string>consulting.artichoke.5C5D57F6-17BA-4DDB-8A80-FB52144CA7D5.com.apple.TCC.configuration-profile-policy.39507784-04E3-4039-B7D8-D56776635304</string>
			<key>PayloadType</key>
			<string>com.apple.TCC.configuration-profile-policy</string>
			<key>PayloadUUID</key>
			<string>39507784-04E3-4039-B7D8-D56776635304</string>
			<key>PayloadVersion</key>
			<integer>1</integer>
			<key>Services</key>
			<dict>
				<key>AppleEvents</key>
				<array>
					<dict>
						<key>AEReceiverCodeRequirement</key>
						<string>identifier "com.apple.finder" and anchor apple</string>
						<key>AEReceiverIdentifier</key>
						<string>com.apple.finder</string>
						<key>AEReceiverIdentifierType</key>
						<string>bundleID</string>
						<key>Allowed</key>
						<true/>
						<key>CodeRequirement</key>
						<string>anchor apple generic and identifier "org.grunenberg.EasyFind" and (certificate leaf[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.1.9] /* exists */ or certificate 1[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.2.6] /* exists */ and certificate leaf[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.1.13] /* exists */ and certificate leaf[subject.OU] = "679S2QUWR8")</string>
						<key>Comment</key>
						<string></string>
						<key>Identifier</key>
						<string>org.grunenberg.EasyFind</string>
						<key>IdentifierType</key>
						<key>StaticCode</key>
						<false/>
					</dict>
				</array>
				<key>SystemPolicyAllFiles</key>
				<array>
					<dict>
						<key>Allowed</key>
						<true/>
						<key>CodeRequirement</key>
						<string>anchor apple generic and identifier "org.grunenberg.EasyFind" and (certificate leaf[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.1.9] /* exists */ or certificate 1[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.2.6] /* exists */ and certificate leaf[field.1.2.840.113635.100.6.1.13] /* exists */ and certificate leaf[subject.OU] = "679S2QUWR8")</string>
						<key>Comment</key>
						<string></string>
						<key>Identifier</key>
						<string>org.grunenberg.EasyFind</string>
						<key>IdentifierType</key>
						<key>StaticCode</key>
						<false/>
					</dict>
				</array>
			</dict>
		</dict>
	</array>
	<key>PayloadDescription</key>
	<string>Allow Easyfind to be its awesome self.</string>
	<key>PayloadDisplayName</key>
	<string>All-PPPC-EasyFind</string>
	<key>PayloadIdentifier</key>
	<string>consulting.artichoke.5C5D57F6-17BA-4DDB-8A80-FB52144CA7D5</string>
	<key>PayloadScope</key>
	<string>User</string>
	<key>PayloadType</key>
	<string>Configuration</string>
	<key>PayloadUUID</key>
	<string>5C5D57F6-17BA-4DDB-8A80-FB52144CA7D5</string>
	<key>PayloadVersion</key>
	<integer>1</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

I’ve relied on the amazing EasyFind for many years, and find it an essential app. I always use the “Active Finder window” option. I recently got an M1 Mac (running macOS 11.4), and it’s disappointing that it’s not working, because of this problem - unlike on my previous Mac, EasyFind doesn’t add itself to the “Automation” list of apps, so I can’t enable it. Other apps seem to be able to do so.

It’s also disappointing to hear cgrunenberg’s comment indicating that you don’t care about it because it’s freeware. The point of freeware is to advertise for your company and its other products, to showcase what you can do, and to build good will with your (potential) customers. I think you can do better… If money is the problem, then charge for it. I’m happy to pay. Don’t just leave the little squirrel lying there wounded!

Welcome @JoeLow

It’s also disappointing to hear cgrunenberg’s comment indicating that you don’t care about it because it’s freeware.

Please don’t go beyond what is actually written. He didn’t say "We don’t care about it.
He clearly and apologetically - stated there are higher priority projects going on in here, which is absolutely true.

Also, the function is not critical to EasyFind’s operation.
You can select the location via the Select option in the Location dropdown.
You can even drag and drop a folder into EasyFind to use it as the target.
It would be a different matter if EasyFInd was crashing on launch or otherwise non-functional.

PS: An update is planned but I cannot give you a timeframe for the release.

PPS: Do you also use DEVONthink?

@BLUEFROG thanks for your reply. I think you’re kind of splitting hairs though. It was plainly written that you haven’t taken care of it because it’s freeware. I’m not the first person here to express some surprise about that answer. It’s good to know that you’re planning to fix it someday.

Thanks also for the suggestion of alternatives to searching the active Finder window. Nevertheless, they are extra steps that add friction to using EasyFind. In the meantime, I’ve found another app on the Mac App Store that does have the ability to search in the active Finder window. In case it helps you with troubleshooting, when I installed it, it said it “wants access to control “Finder”. Allowing control will provide access to documents and data in “Finder”, and to perform actions within that app.” which is a different message than what I get with EasyFind.

PS, why do you ask if I use DEVONthink?

You’re welcome.

But that’s a very different statement than saying "we don’t care about it. That sounds like Criss’ response or our company attitude was cavalier or dismissive, which is certainly not the case.

PS, why do you ask if I use DEVONthink?

Just curious if you are using any of our other applications and that or DEVONsphere Express are the most closely related in function.

Two people have told you already that the response came across as somewhat dismissive. A curt “no”, and it’s not a priority (i.e. you don’t care about it very much) because it’s freeware. No indication of any interest or intention to fix it. I agreed with BulletMTA’s reaction, “it’s a pity that you answer in that way for such a good app”.

You can set your priorities however you like. It’s good that you’ve clarified that an update is planned. I hope it will receive some attention before too long…

Because of EasyFind, I’ve looked several times in the past at DEVONthink. Until now, I’ve been using Circus Ponies Notebook for organizing information and notes. But it also doesn’t run properly on the M1 Mac, and I now need to replace it. I’ve always had trouble understanding the purpose of DEVONthink though, and why I’d want to use it. There’s a lot of text on your website, but it’s a bit abstract to me. I looked for some videos on YouTube, but didn’t really find much, or they were very old. You don’t have a YouTube channel? It’s always my first stop when looking at a new app, for someone to demonstrate and explain what you can do. The same with DEVONsphere - I really couldn’t tell you what it is or does from reading about it, I’d need to see it in action…