Email to devon think

I’m not sure if this is a feature request or perhaps someone has solved this already.

Over the years, there have been many times I have wanted to email or forward email to devon think, similar to how you can email Things 3, Agenda, or various other apps. It just seems so darned convenient and obvious, I’m sure someone must have addressed this over the years.

I’m not much of a programmer, and I’ve played around with rules in apple mail combined with email import from Devonthink, but so far my efforts have been clumsy and convoluted.

Has anyone been able to set up a simple workflow that supports emailing material to Devonthink 3?

Or is this a feature request :slight_smile:

DEVONthink uses local databases, rather than a cloud-based approach. As such, the approach others use to mailing items to the database (with the app developer effectively providing you with an e-mail address and incorporating whatever arrives at that address into your database) is not an option. DEVONtech have no access to DEVONthink databases.

Your only option is to set up ship yourself. You could, for example, set yourself up a specific e-mail address for the purpose. Set Mail up to import the attachment of any mail sent to that address to DT. DEVONtech even provide the necessary scripts (e.g. Mail Rule - Add attachments to DEVONthink).

If you don’t use Mail (or it is as unreliable for you as for me), then you can use any other mail app which can be set up to automatically save attachments for mails with certain criteria. Within DEVONthink you can then index the folder the attachments are saved to, even automatically moving the items into the database using a smart rule if appropriate.

2 Likes

I set up a Devonthink folder in Apple Mail,
and manually move any email I wish to archive
This works on the Mac and iPad
An Applescript runs on schedule and imports the mail from the folder

3 Likes

Not sure whether that’s what you have in mind but the script in this thread files records (e.g. mails that were imported via a Mail Rule script) into DEVONthink. You can find a modified version in DEVONthink’s Smart Rule scripts, see File Items.

Why forward or email it when you can import emails in the Pro and Server editions of DEVONthink?

1 Like

Thank you all for these helpful responses!

I just don’t use apple’s mail program and really have no need to import and archive email using devonthink, but I guess I can start using it and follow one of the approaches suggested by others here.

Where/how do you archive emails the you wish to save?

I just don’t use apple’s mail program

Does your app export .eml files?
That’s what I archive