Enable operators & wildcards breaks some searches

See page 246 of the the user guide (also available through the in-app Help):

Stephen

1 Like

Got it, thank you Stephen
and thanks for getting this option added

Well, I may have spoken too soon, or maybe I didn’t set the hidden pref correctly, but that option is still enabling itself when I search from toolbar.

Here is the terminal session where I enabled the preference after quitting DT and then restarting once the default was set and confirmed.

$ defaults read com.devontechnologies.think3 DontAutomaticallyEnableOperatorsOptionOfSearchIns
FALSE

$ defaults write  com.devontechnologies.think3 DontAutomaticallyEnableOperatorsOptionOfSearchIns -bool TRUE

$ defaults read com.devontechnologies.think3 DontAutomaticallyEnableOperatorsOptionOfSearchIns

And here is a small video where you can see that the option is unchecked when I do a search in the toolbar (for “hotel”), but then it is still enabling itself, even after that hidden pref was set to true.

https://imgur.com/a/zmzogfg

1 Like

Disable the option in the Search inspector when the file is selected. Then try it again.

That stops one search from rechecking the box but the next time I search in the toolbar and click a file, it turns the option on again.

Example\

• Uncheck the option, “Enable Operators & Wildcards”
  • Type “hotel” in toolbar search
    that returns say 3 files
  • Click top file and that option becomes checked / enabled again
  • Disable the option and click any of the three files, it does not enable itself again
  • Now search a new term in the toolbar, “car”
    For example, it returns 15 files
  • Click the top file, that option enables itself again
    and repeat

Optimally from my perspective, if I turn it off, and disable the default from terminal, it should never check itself unless I manually enable it.

1 Like