Encrypted Database not asking for password?

No. I examined the keychain passwords. Not there. The database has a .sparseimage extension, which if I understand correctly implies encryption. The more I think about it, I’m not sure I need it. FileVault is on, so the indexed originals should be safe, and your sync encryption is end-to-end, no? It’s just strange that what once worked flawlessly suddenly stopped. I’d like to understand why. Thanks for replying.

The extension of DEVONthink’s encrypted databases is .dtSparse.

Quit DEVONthink.
Go to the Finder and locate the database. If the extension is still .sparseimage, change it to .dtSparse, okaying the change. Then double-click it to open it.

Well, now what I find in DATABASE.dtSparse is a disk image with a TITLE.dtBase2. Clicking on that opens the database without asking for a password. It is impossible to change the name of the image.

Furthermore, I’ve now discovered that I no longer have write access to the database. Can’t create new group, etc. Nor can I change permissions in the Finder “Get Info” . Some time ago I changed the password for opening my laptop, which then required modifying some other apps. Could it be related to that?

A .dtBase2 file is not a disk image. It’s a DEVONthink database. In the case of an encrypted database, it resides in an encrypted disk image, i.e., the .dtSparse file.

Did you double-click the dtSparse file as I instructed you to?

Yes. And this opened a window with a .dtBase2 file. Clicking on that opened a VOLUME on my desktop (which I confused with a disk image) that I cannot modify in the Finder.
CleanShot 2023-12-22 at 16.41.05@2x
CleanShot 2023-12-22 at 16.40.46@2x

DT shows the database locked – a pencil with a line through it. So I cannot update any indexed items (that menu option is gray). What I propose to do is create another database, then refill it with the finder items that were indexed. Then re-index and delete the previous database. I will forget about encryption for now. Thanks for your time. Much appreciated. If you have any insight into what caused this, it might be helpful for others.

Move the database out of the disk and into the ~/Databases folder in your home directory. Double-click it to open it as an unencrypted database. Can you modify it?

Yes. Everything seems to work as intended now. I can modify the database, and update indexing. I’ll forgo the encryption. Thank you for your help.

You’re welcome :slight_smile: