Encrypted database on multiple devices?

This is probably a dumb question, but creating an encrypted database is new to me. So I created an encrypted database on my macbook and it works fine - I’m prompted for the password every time I open DT and the database has the lock icon next to it.

But I wanted to add it to the active databases in my iphone – and it shows up there as a remote database. So I clicked it on, like I would do with any remote database I want to use. It’s then correctly imported to the iphone - but when I open it, no password is requested (and no lock icon). Same thing happens when I try it on a 2nd macbook.

What am I missing here? Thanks!

You’re not missing anything in the iOS device. There is no support for encrypted databases like on the Mac in DEVONthink To Go.

On the other Mac, you need to import the database as an encrypted database, ideally specified with the same encryption key and size to eliminate confusion for yourself.

Delete the database on the 2nd MacBook and you can reimport it from DEVONthink’s Preferences > Sync by Control-clicking the remote database and choosing Import Encrypted Database.

Jim- Awesome, thanks for the explanation! (It was more important on the 2nd MacBook anyway.) - JimB

You’re very welcome! :slight_smile:

Does this mean that the sync store in the cloud isn’t encrypted?

This has nothing to do with whether sync data is encrypted or not. That is purely controlled by whether you’ve used an encryption key when you synced.

If you use an encryption key when you sync, is the sync store encrypted?

Technically, no. The sync data is encrypted. But practically it shouldn’t matter.