Entering a URL and changing views

If I’m looking at a site in the built-in browser and then want to enter a URL to go to a different site, am I right in thinking that I have to create a URL entry/item to do this? I can’t seem to enter a URL in the URL bar in the browser.

Also, if I’m looking at a site in the built-in browser and want to check another document in my db, it seems as though I cant go back to the site I was looking at in the browser other than going to the original home page of that site again. Is this right, too?

Thanks

Yes, you are correct.

You can open the page in a new window to avoid that limitation.

Thanks for the info, Bill. Any chance one will be able to go to different urls without creating a link in future upgrades, or is this a limitation imposed by the webkit?

Martin

Hi, Martin:

Possibly. No promises.

You could add this script to the Scripts menu:

tell application "DEVONthink Pro"
	try
		if not (exists (think window 1)) then error "No window is open."
		if not (exists URL of think window 1) or (URL of think window 1 as string) is "" then error "No page has been loaded."

repeat
			display dialog "Enter the URL to load:" default answer "http://" buttons {"Cancel", "OK"} default button 2
			set this_URL to the text returned of the result
			if this_URL is not "" then exit repeat
		end repeat

set the URL of think window 1 to this_URL
	on error error_message number error_number
		if the error_number is not -128 then
			try
				display alert "DEVONthink Pro" message error_message as warning
			on error number error_number
				if error_number is -1708 then display dialog error_message buttons {"OK"} default button 1
			end try
		end if
	end try
end tell

Christian:

Thanks so much for the script. It works just great! So now I can type in a URL, go to where I want to in there, then using the script go go another URL and my back button will take me to the first URL. And I can do this with as many as I want. At least that’s how I’m using it now and I’m assuming that’s what it’s for :slight_smile:

Thanks again!