Entering URL's

Is there a way to enter a URL through typing? I find that if I capture a web page in Safari, I’d also like to place a clickable link to that page inside the DT document. Dragging from the location bar in Safari does not work.

Of course, I know that dragging a link from a page in Safari works as a clickable link in DT, but this does not make it any easier to get a link to the current page.

Thanks.

I’m not certain what you are trying to do. You can capture a page in DT by using the DT contextual menu.

First click on the titlebar URL in safari to select it. right-click and select copy from the contextual menu.

Next right click on the DT icon in the dock and select copy from clipboard, following the desired path to the DT directory in which you want to save.

Is that what you wanted to do?

DEVONthink note captures via OS X Services do not currently copy the page URL into the captured note.

Here’s a workaround:
[1] In Safari, go to the Address bar of the page you want to capture, select the URL and press Cmd-C to copy it to the clipboard.
[2] Select the text or image you want to capture (Cmd-A to capture all), then press Shift-Cmd-) to capture the note as Rich Text to DEVONthink.
[3] Immediately go to DEVONthink, display the newly captured note, and paste the URL from the clipboard into the note. (In NotePad or Outline view, the URL field is at the bottom of the note page window. The URL can alternatively be pasted into the URL field of the note’s Info pane.)

This workaround isn’t necessary if you capture pages or notes from the WebKit browser in DEVONthink itself, and use contextual menu options for the captures. In that case, the URL is automatically included in the capture. That’s neat! (Christian has noted that he hopes to be able to use contextual menu captures from within Safari in a future version of DT.)

There’s one other aspect of your query. If you type or paste a URL into the body of a note’s text, it doesn’t automatically become a clickable link.

There are two approaches to launching such a URL in your browser:
[1] Select the entire URL, go to OS X Services options, and select, for example, Open URL. This will launch the URL page in your default browser. Clumsy and time-consuming, though.
[2] DEVONtechnologies download page has a link to a freeware utility called ICeCoffEE version 1.3, which allows Cmd-clicking URLs. However, the current version 1.4 uses APE Manager, a haxie that sometimes causes problems with DEVONthink (I don’t think Christian likes it). I’m using ICeCoffEE, simply because I’ve got several hundred notes that contain otherwise unclickable URLs – perhaps others should be cautions about this. ::slight_smile:

Not exactly. I can do this, but what I would like to be able to do is to enter a clickable URL into an RTF or RTFD document within DT. In particular, I’d like to add the URL of a site to the document I created using the same technique you outlined above.

Thanks.

Thanks. Your reply generally covers my questions. The workaround is fine, and I can use it with little extra work.

Doing it from the WebKit Browser is also OK.

I’m glad that it’s not just me who cannot insert a clickable link into a DT document; although I’d love to know what the clickable links that wind up in DT documents (for example, when you copy a web page) actually consist of. Apparently there must be HTML code in the document that makes the link clickable. If that is so, it shouldn’t be impossible for the DT programmers to make a command to convert a few words in a DT document into a clickable link, at least in an RTF document. Then we wouldn’t have to play around with APE, which I’m reluctant to use.

Thanks for your helpful answer.

Version 1.8 includes a "Make Link" command which recognizes Internet/email addresses and therefore creates clickable URLs and Wiki-style links.

That’s great! I just looked at a link within a document in BBEdit, and it is, as I suspected, just some simple code. I’m looking forward to it.

Awesome feature. Thank you!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

take a look at macJournal (by dan schimpf). it is freeware. there you highlite a piece of text that is supposed to become a link, click the link-symbol and then drag the document or whatever is the target into the link-window and - voila - the complete (local) URL appeares and the link is fully functional. this is about the easiest and most intuitive linking feature i have ever seen!

Hi there,

I’d like to do a similar thing and thought that the URL field at the bottom of a note might serve the purpose. Unfortunately, the downside is that you can enter only one URL. Is there any way to add multiple URLs for a note? I’d like to add several online references for a note and there seems to be no easy way to do this.

Ben

Using DT 1.8, you can store multiple URLs inside the document and convert them to clickable links.

OK, thanks for the info. So I guess the obvious questions are when 1.8 will be available and what the upgrade policy is.

Version 1.8 has been released yesterday :wink: And the upgrade is free as all 1.x.y upgrades will be free of course!

Thanks. I just downloaded 1.8 and had a browse through the menus. I still can’t see how I can add multiple, clickable URLs to an entry. Any hints?

I’ve typed a URL into an RTF document. FORMAT contains MAKE A LINK but it’s greyed out. The URL is highlighted.

DT 1.8 will make a link of pretty much anything.  “http://www.apple.com” works, as does “www.apple.com.”  If what you’re trying to link doesn’t conform to internet conventions (e.g. "fred@fred.com" or “ftp://ftp.nowhere.org”), then a wiki-style link is created, along with a new page.

You have to select the URL (or whatever you’re attempting to link) before Format > Make Link is enabled.

I have a screen shot of a highlighted email address (being the only entry in an RTF note) with the MAKE A LINK entry in the FORMAT menu greyed out. But I don’t know how to attach the .PDF file to this post :slight_smile:

If you’re using Panther, select the URL and choose "Make Link" or press Cmd-Shift-M.

Ah, that explains it. No Panther here as I’m running off Firewire disks.