Exclude groups from search

In DEVONthink 3 it is possible to exclude groups and their contents from search by selecting the option in the info for the group.

DTTG3 does not have this option in the GUI (can this be done in future?) but I’d expect DTTG at least to respect the settings made in DEVONthink when the DB is synced.

As far as I can see, DTTG does not respect these settings.

No, this is not a feature of DEVONthink To Go at this time. And that is not metadata about the groups so it isn’t passed along via sync.
Perhaps in a future edition this may be possible.

“In DEVONthink 3 it is possible to exclude groups and their contents from search by selecting the option in the info for the group.”

How? I found a question to this effect in July 2020, but it didn’t seemed to be answered (at least not in a way I could understand).

I want to search the tag: email, but not any email tag in the group Done. There are a great many search modifications, from content to date created, but I don’t see groups. Are groups called something else?

I guess that „exclude group from search“ is not available on DTTG. As has been mentioned often here, the desktop and mobile apps are not identical functionwise

@chrillek is correct. Exclusion from search is not a available in DEVONthink To Go at this time.

Yes, my question is about Devonthink 3, the desktop version, where it is quoted above as being possible. Please advise.

If you look at the main Info page for your Done group (i.e. Press Ctrl-1), at the bottom there’s a section for ‘Exclude From’.

Search is one of the options, which means, I assume, that group and its contents will never be returned in any searches.

I think that this is what is being referred to, not a specific criterion in the Search Box itself. In other words, it applies to all searches, not just a specific one.

You can exclude groups from search individually by option-clicking the group, selecting Get Info and then selecting Exclude from… Search. I’m not aware of terminology which would allow you to exclude a group dynamically when searching (along the lines of search for “hello” but not in the group called “the hellos”). I’m not sure there is no such terminology though - I’ve never needed it (scope:!groupname doesn’t work).

Thank you @brookter and @Blanc. Both methods work–one excludes before the search, one after. They are both useful. Thanks!

I apologise, I didn’t see your post before writing mine.

No worries! I realised that after I posted, so I deleted my response.

1 Like