Excluding groups for auto classify

I want to make better use of auto classify and there are certain groups I rarely use that nearly always pop to the top of the list.

If I choose to exclude a group from classification (in the Info box), will that also exclude all nested folders within that group? My sense is that it does not although I can select an entire group of groups (is there a reason they aren’t referred to as folders?) and exclude them all at once. However, this leaves open to use as classification folders that may be nested a few levels down which I may have missed and makes it all the more difficult to find those excluded groups when I want to include them later.

Also, would I be right in assuming that auto classify would use the group that filters to the top of the drawer after clicking classify? Or is there another way to determine where Dt has place those docs?

Thanks.
Mark

OS X 10.3.9
Dt 1.9.3

No, only that very group.

That’s right, auto-classify would use the groups that “Classify” lists at the top of the list and automatically selects. If nothing is automatically selected, then classify is unsure about where to put it.

Best,

Eric.

If possible, I’d like to suggest adding the option to exclude nested groups as a feature request. It could streamline the process quite a bit. For instance, if I have a top level group in which there are some 20 folders all at various levels and I need all of those groups temporarily excluded, I could open the Info window and select “Exclude from classification” and “Include nested groups”.

Thanks.
Mark

As requested last year (along with nested exclusion), I’d like a global preference to exclude all groups from classification so it would be easier to include only those of interest. And the ability to search for included/excluded groups to make it easy to find and toggle their classification state. Thanks.

In DEVONthink Pro you could write an AppleScript script to do this.

Best,

Eric.

Thanks for the suggestion! Searching for and toggling the classification state? I can’t see any way to do global group exclusion using AppleScript. :slight_smile:

Let me add that I too would really like this feature. I find myself so often wanting it. Given that one of DT’s main features is clasification it seems that this ability should be there, built-in. It would make the classification abilities much more powerful and flexible. I don’t think users should have to fiddle with AppleScript to do this. Please seriously consider this feature, thank you.