Explanation of Sync Symbols

I keep encountering new symbols on the sync cloud and this is the first one I can not come up with an explanation for. The docs don’t cover these symbols at all, afaik. Pressing the symbol for a sec reads “no sync active”.

EDIT: I now realized that if i short press it, it shows a protocol with errors. that is probably what the symbol wanted to display, but for me that’s hard to intuitively understand. On these errors btw: What is one supposed to do if it shows missing .manifest files? after deleting the protocol, sync works just fine. but I don’t know if there is still something to check / resolve…

? > Help > Appendix > Iconology.

When you encounter sync errors, the first step would be to verify the sync location.

In DEVONthink To Go’s Settings > Sync: Locations, left-swipe the iCloud location and choose Verify Thoroughly. Check for the results by touching the sync icon in the bottom toolbar. And this may take a little time to finish. Check the sync icon periodically for the report.

If it reports errors still, clean the sync location or the sync data for the database.

Clean Location

In DEVONthink To Go’s Settings > Sync: Edit Locations, left-swipe the sync location and choose Clean.

Clean Database

In DEVONthink To Go’s Settings > Sync: Edit Locations, tap the sync location, then left-swipe the database and choose Clean.

After the clean is reported successfully in the sync icon log, you can enable syncing the database(s) again.

1 Like

my bad, brain was not awake yet it seems. only looked at entries with sync in their name, whoops.

with regards to the sync issues: my question ist basically whether it is assumed to be an ok practice to just ignore errors whenever they don’t reappear on a manually triggered sync (which they did not in my case) and only start verifying (and maybe cleaning) when errors persist.

No worries!

And yes, inconsistent messages usually can be safely ignored as it could be a temporary condition, like slow server responses.

1 Like