Export and Overwrite Files and Folders

Is there a way, when exporting to Folders and Files, to have DT overwrite/update the existing export folder rather than creating a new version?

I have the same problem; an export of my General-Filing group
creates folder General-Filing with the first run
A subsequent run creates folder General-Filing-1

My solution is a weekly script that removes the previous folder
and triggers a new export

Welcome @fncll

May I ask how often you’re using the export and why?

I export multiple times per week to make a large group and contents available via Dropbox (for access from phone, work computer, etc). As the folder has become larger, it’s become more tedious to remove the earlier export and re-sync the new export.

Have you considered indexing the folder in Dropbox instead?

Indexing is discussed in the Help > Documentation > In & Out > Importing & Indexing , especially the Indexing and the file system section. Pay special attention to the Indexing and the filesystem section so you understand how actions in DEVONthink can affect files in the file system.

I hadn’t really thought about it much, though I did consider it.

In general, I prefer to have DT be the “one true source” containing all the data rather than having it spread tentacles around indexing the file system where, inevitably, I forget that a folder is being indexed by DT and move or delete it.

At any rate, an intelligent export of files and folders would be a useful feature for me.

There is a property icon indicating items are indexed.
From the Help…

I am aware of the icons in DT, thanks. These are of no use to me when I am in the Finder. It doesn’t change what I feel would be a useful addition to DT’s existing ability to export files and folders.

Actually, having spent some time testing, your suggestion does actually work for my needs. So while a “smart” export still seems desirable in the abstract, it is no longer necessary for my needs. DT has a steep learning curve!

1 Like