Export As WebSite Improvements...

I think Export as WebSite leaves a lot to be desired in terms of what’s produced. I didn’t try it with anything particularly complex, but I immediately noticed several things:

1. External links embedded in the RTF weren’t preserved.
  2. Tabulated text wasn’t preserved by placing it into
     or some other kind of appropriate container or converting it to a proper HTML table.
  3. Images weren’t converted into something appropriate for the web. I ended up with a folder full of PICTs. Not too helpful!
  4. It produces a whackload of HTML mark-up, probably more than necessary.

I’m not really that surprised about 2 and 4. 1 and 3 had me particularly gobsmacked. Or maybe I missed something about configuring things?

Eingang:

As with all features, Export as WebSite will be reviewed and evaluated over time, especially user comments on how it should work.

Note that the current feature does a pretty good job with one type of structured content, a structure based on hyperlinks between document components.

See, e.g., http://homepage.mac.com/wbdeville/DT_Tutorial_Export/Welcome%20to%20DEVONthink%20Pro.html. This was a “one click” conversion of a very early version of the DT Pro Tutorial Database.

They should be preserved if the links point either to a file/Internet URL or if the links are cross links and the destination is also (!!!) exported.

The website export support rich text tables & enumerations/lists of Tiger which should be sufficient for basic formatting.

That will be improved in the next release.

I agree that they should but they definitely weren’t. I didn’t get any links at all and I was very surprised about that. Bill mentioned the tutorial thing. I actually discovered a message from him about that after I’d posted my message here (but before his response) and then I wondered if it just did internal links only. But you’re saying it should do both. I’ll try it again in 1.0.2 and see what happens.

I commented on this elsewhere (a thread about tables and DT, I think). I suspected that might be the case, but I didn’t have an easy way to convert my tabulated text into a table. Having since poked around the AppleScript, I’m not sure I can even write an AppleScript to do it in DT. I think it’s sensible for Rich Text tables to be exported as HTML tables, but it probably wouldn’t hurt, even if it meant we had to assign a style to that chunk of text, to be able to export a chunk in a

container.  I know pre elements are deprecated, but short of converting tabs to spaces and embedding the text in mono-spaced HTML block element (div), I can’t think of a way to easily preserve that kind of formatting.

Excellent! Thanks!

One alternative is to use the ruler as the tabs are probably just used to indent lines - just remove the tabs and set the left margin. The website export uses this information (and paragraph spacing too).