Export into CSV // Selecting what to be exported

Hello around,

first of all, I’d like to say thanks to the DT-team for this great piece of software. My friends say, that I am an organizing nerd and DT let me create my wish-workflow for all my documents and daily tasks. I am so happy with your software and the abilities.

I am currently looking for some help performing exports. In order to do my tax reports, I’d like to export my “tax” tagged documents into a csv-file, including all kind of meta data, tags URL, comments and custom meta data fields.

My thoughts are:
I’d like to highlight some documents and run a script, that (may) let me chose, which specific (custom) metadata and information (e.g. internal URL) to include into the csv-file and runs the export into a csv-file, I can continue working on in Excel or any other software.

Is there anything alrighty build into DT3, that I am missing in this case? Or does some kind of script exist, that may be able to perform this task?

I am grateful for some advise and thanks in advance,
Paul

Can I suggest you Vote “Yes” here and explain your use case.

What you are asking for is a “Report Generator” by another name.

1 Like

Select the documents. Use Tools > Create Metadata Overview. DEVONthink will create a tab-separated file (.tsv) that contains columns corresponding to each of the generic and custom metadata elements for which there is at least one value present across that group of files. (I.e., if you have a custom metadata element but it is not used for any of the files you selected, then there will not be a column in the .tsv file for that element.)

You can open the .tsv for use in Excel, Numbers, Tinderbox, or any other application that accepts .tsv. If you want to do some light editing in DEVONthink, you can select the .tsv and use Tools > Sheets > Edit Columns.

2 Likes

And then if you wish you can Convert it to a very nice PDF or HTML file.

The output is wonderful.

What is missing is the ability to remove the columns automatically (based on the View set up in the document) or by Script. But removing columns is not scriptable.

1 Like

Awesome, that’s what I was looking for. Many thanks for the tip.