Fantastic Site Update!

I love the new design of devontechnologies.com. Well done.

3 Likes

Thank you very much. We’re glad that you like it :slightly_smiling_face:

Although, I do have to say that the images on the page for DEVONAgent are a bit misleading. That’s not actually how the app looks unless it’s (non-natively) full screen and you’ve got the hat button clicked. The rest of the UI for the app is decidedly missing.

I hope there’s a bit update for this app coming. There’s so much I’d love to do with it.

AAaaannd I didn’t realize that if you clicked on some of the other images the UI did show up. I stand corrected.

Congratulations for your site redesign. Looks incredible!
I suppose how big has been all the work to make it ready.

Now I am even more excited for the coming updates for the DT family!

Re-re-moved to Miscellanous where it really belongs. Sorry for the confusion.

Quite frankly I think it’s horrible!

now I have to scroll through screen after screen of useless eye candy to get to the meat of the deal. I hate that you’ve jumped on the bandwagon of huge front page pictures. I don’t LIKE to scroll. The bird could be a sidebar with the useful stuff right there. Why oh why do “redesigns” ALWAYS make it HARDER to find the information you need to determine if the item is useful to you or not?

Even newspapers know that you put the important stuff above the fold. I want everything accessible on a single screen in a normal browser window on a mid range computer.

Is that really so hard to do while still including nice pictures and readable text?

1 Like

Actually: Yes. To make websites responsive and adjust to different screen sizes and device classes leads to this kind of design. We explicitly designed our website to meet today’s visual habits. Sorry :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I appreciate the issues with handling multiple screen sizes and devices. I think you should optimize for larger ones though.

I just checked it out on both tablet and phone. Same issues with both in terms of content. it actually looks best on the smallest screen size. But how many people seriously looking for such powerful tools are going to be using a phone to search for them?

While I don’t have metrics on who is searching for us, we do have a surprising number of DEVONthink To Go users using the application on their iPhone.

1 Like

I appreciate the issues with handling multiple screen sizes and devices. I think you should optimize for larger ones though. I just checked it out on both tablet and phone. Same issues with both in terms of content. it actually looks best on the smallest screen size. But how many people seriously looking for such powerful tools are going to be using a phone to search for them?

We will definitely adjust things over time. At the moment the Mac-to iOS ratio is 2:1.

Do note that it is currently not possible to add any items to your cart (at least, not in my case).

p.s. was just exploring whilst looking forward to the upcoming updates :smiley:

I really like the new design - fresh, clean and fitting for the web!

After clicking around on the new sites, I wanted to let you know about a few issues I found which could be improved:

• Google indexed links to blog posts now redirect to the blog main page instead to the (still existing!) post, which is annoying (for example https://blog.devontechnologies.com/2018/07/tuesday-tip-create-custom-icons/)
  • In the old version you had a comparison table for the three different versions of DEVONthink, the current layout is harder to read since it is in text form. While I get that for a mobile first design tables are hard, a comparison table is worth the pain (and a scrollable table on mobile would be better than none I think)
  • also the Download and Buy buttons only work with enabled JavaScript (wich can be debated), but at least they should indicate they are clickable with the mouse cursorDDY (currently it’s the text cursor)
  • the search input field is hidden after a click - for a power user tool I think this could be done better :wink:

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

and that’s exactly the point … you’re investing a tremendous time on the iOS apps while imao completely disregarding the users using the macOS App. The macOS app should also be redesigned to meet today needs, sorry but the App is really not so appealing and did not change a lot in the last 5 years I’m using DT. perhaps you could concentrate some efforts in better supporting markdown, reST for note taking and perhaps also investing time how on how to solve the CSS rendering problem BUT not on per file basis but more globally WITHOUT affecting how website are rendered as it is the case today …

Otherwise, I can understand @OogieM concerns but I also appreciate the new Web Design, you’ve done a great job here :wink:

Thank you all for your feedback. We’re ironing out all the little issues that come up now that the website is live. And @M0ll3art, you can be sure we’re not only investing time into DEVONthink To Go. Some things just happen behind the curtain, preparing for their part of the show :sunglasses:

That’s true, the link structure in our new blog is different. However, as soon as the Googlebot has fully re-indexed our website links will surely work again soon.

• In the old version you had a comparison table for the three different versions of DEVONthink, the current layout is harder to read since it is in text form. While I get that for a mobile first design tables are hard, a comparison table is worth the pain (and a scrollable table on mobile would be better than none I think)

We’ll have that again soon. And then you’ll know why we didn’t bring it over :wink:

• also the Download and Buy buttons only work with enabled JavaScript (wich can be debated), but at least they should indicate they are clickable with the mouse cursorDDY (currently it’s the text cursor)

Fixed. And yes, some parts of our website rely on JavaScript. Sorry :slightly_smiling_face:

• the search input field is hidden after a click - for a power user tool I think this could be done better :wink:

Well, as there’s no menu with search results but the results will open in a new page, how would you suggest that we hide the search field? Open to suggestions.

Have we really? Stay tuned :wink:

Otherwise, I can understand @OogieM concerns but I also appreciate the new Web Design, you’ve done a great job here :wink:

Thank you :sunglasses:

Does it work now? And if not: Which browser?

When noticing it was for all browsers (even DevonAgent), a started checking my firewall settings etc. But happily I found the issue after some searching:

The javascript for the cart does not work when going to:
the URL : http://www.devon-technologies.com
–> after selecting which OSX edition to buy, this results in an “empty cart”

The javascript for the cart does work when going to:
the URL http://www.devontechnologies.com

Hence the culprit is the additional '-'sign in the domain name (or not coding this into the script :grinning:)

Ha, thank you very much. The cart script is blocked due to cross-domain scripting control. We’ll redirect the legacy domain devon-technologies.com to devontechnologies.com where all the permissions are correctly set up.