[Feature Request] Cross-database Replicants

So I’m starting to understand more of what DEVONThink is about and some of it happily coincides with some project ideas I’ve been mulling over for the past year or two. One issue though… you cannot make cross-database replicants. I read on page 128 of the manual that there is no accompanying filesystem changes, only a table edit.

Any chance of this changing ? :smiley:

Cheers!
Jim
BLUEFROG

I doubt that will happen. To replicate (rather than copy) a document file to another database would be, conceptually, like creating an alias of the document file in the second database’s File.noindex folder. But think of all the things that could go wrong, so that the information content of the “replicant” would be lost.

I understand what you’re saying, Bill and I would agree with you, depending on your philosophical view of “what a database is”. Taking a less conventional view of DTPO’s database structure, including it’s impact on the filesystem, would fit in with a concept that I’ve had for the past year or two. This idea would ideally utilize replicants (and duplicates) in a non-standard way, so I had to ask. Cheers! 8^)

(removed; OT)

korm:

Thanks for the thoughts on this. I see where you’re going with it and it’s a nice exploit. However, the concept I’ve been mapping actually would work best with non-indexed data.

BTW, I don’t mean to be obtuse or anything. I appreciate the input. :smiley: