Feature request: differentiate system created groups

I would find it helpful if groups created by DT (e.g. Assets, Annotations) were differentiated with colour. Is this already possible?

You could assign a custom icon to them via the Info inspector.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a list of the names used for the groups automatically created by DT?

There’s no such list. Some groups are only created on demand (e.g. Downloads), others (like assets) depend on preferences and most depend on the system language.

Okay, but I think despite any differences between the names given to these groups, the common factor is DT creating them. To my mind, it seems feasible that DT could modify their properties at the time of their creation.

I do make heavy use of color coded groups (see Script: Colorize DEVONthink Icons), but I don’t color code the built in groups (although the script can be used to do that).

What exactly do you want to achieve?

Not sure whether it’s useful but this script gets the names of some of the groups.

-- Get names of built-in groups

tell application id "DNtp"
	try
		set theGroups to {annotations group, incoming group, tags group, trash group} of current database

set theNames to {}

repeat with thisGroup in theGroups
			set end of theNames to name of thisGroup
		end repeat

return theNames

on error error_message number error_number
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "DEVONthink" message error_message as warning
		return
	end try
end tell

Hi!

I want to differentiate between groups I have created myself and groups that have been created automatically by DT. Colouring them would be fine.

Thanks for the script above and the link. Where did you find the names ‘annotations group’, ‘incoming group’, etc? If I add ‘downloads group’, I get a syntax error that could mean I guessed wrong or something else.

I can probably work something out by supplying a list of group names I want to modify and performing an action on those. i.e. Downloads, Assets, Annotations,…

The simplest way would be to download Image Magick and then use the linked script. It automatically recognizes what kind of built in group you’ve selected and colorizes it.

(You could of course do that manually by converting DEVONthink’s icns files, colorizing the results in e.g. Acorn and then setting the results via DEVONthink’s inspector. But that’s a lot more work than using the script)

In DEVONthink’s AppleScript dictionary. It doesn’t contain a “downloads group” thus the error.

Thank you, lots to go on there.