File links broke when copy from Global Inbox to database cra

Hi… this is part of a support thread but maybe somebody else here has also had this problem and knows how to address it…

I have a (stupidly, I now realize) way too large number of bitmap images, mostly scans - well, actually, photos, which were made on unrepeatable visits to research libraries. Interspersed between them are also a great many images- many of them are downloaded from web pages - and this is important- the URL is important- the web page images are useless without their URLs… which DTP preserved very well… up until this…

For me, a big part of the appeal of DT is the ability to import large numbers of images as I grab them and classify them later, preserving the time of import or the URL as the (only) way of sorting them LATER.

However, when I, late at night, of course, tried to move the files from the global inbox to the database where they would live the database copy crashed. Right at the very end…Now the Inbox still shows 18,000 missing files - no image, but their file data is still intact - DTP complains that they are missing the files…when I click on each of them I see a path,where the files used to be in the global inbox…

Looking at the destination database in DTP, the files are not in the DTP views, but when I look - via the Finder- inside the database folder using “Show Package Contents” - into the folder hierarchy - files seem to be in the new database folder, in the folder called files.noindex, broken down by file type and so on…

I think the directory structure is the correct one.

A few days ago I put in a support ticket and I followed the advice given to me, back up the two databases to zip files, save them elsewhere, and then try repairing the databases.

Unfortunately, though, DTP crashed while trying to do this…

Upon reopening DTP2, I realized that the interrupted repair didn’t change anything, the files are still missing from the destination database, and still show up as broken links in the global inbox.

Looking at the global inbox I still see the entry where the graphic used to be, with its paths and times, URLs for some of them there now, its just the graphics themselves are missing

Ive tried to repair both databases and the destination database didn’t get it that the data it needed was right there in the Global Inbox metadata… It also crashed, the repair didn’t complete…

If the repair does complete, will it contain the appropriate path and URL info, or will it lose it, I guess is my question.

For safety’s sake… is there any way to export the still-intact file metadata from the Global Inbox as, say a spreadsheet and then import that into the destination database to give the files.noindex files their essential info?

The actual files seem t already be where I am gathering they are supposed to be… they just aren’t showing up there…

Thank you everyone…

Repairing repairs inconsistencies, adds orphaned files but can’t fix missing files. Could you please send the crash log(s) (see ~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter) to cgrunenberg - at - devon-technologies.com? Thanks in advance.

Thank you, will do…