Filesize = 0 --> bug or feature?

yesterday I found out that since several days no sync was done (again).

Manual startet I received only message “check & repair database” which I did but every time it ended with the error message “Inconsistencies” + repair not possible.
The troubleshooting has shown that this is because several of actual stored files that have a filesize of zero.
After deleting them (incl. files in the bin) problem was gone.

1. DT version before 3.6.3 didn´t check that or run into this error
  2. incomprehensible why DT cannot check and eliminate this problem itself in its “check & repair” procedure
  3. files with length of zero were also synced before → an import of the synced db occurs in the same error (I thought all the synced database were crashed !)
  4. Why is it not possible for developers of DT to send an email (or what else) if the sync procedure fails ?

For years I have been wondering why I have to find out afterwards on various devices that files are missing and therefore something must have gone wrong with the sync procedure.
Most of the time it is then already too late because the devices are outside of the internal networks.

This is really annoying !

You mind want to read this topic. It likely explains your situation.

1 Like
  • DT version before 3.6.3 didn´t check that or run into this error

That’s because the maintenance routine wasn’t looking for the files.

• incomprehensible why DT cannot check and eliminate this problem itself in its “check & repair” procedure

Because deleting files is a user’s decision, not the software’s.

• files with length of zero were also synced before → an import of the synced db occurs in the same error (I thought all the synced database were crashed !)

And we have new information, especially regarding DEVONthink To Go 3, that points to troubles with zero-byte files.

• Why is it not possible for developers of DT to send an email (or what else) if the sync procedure fails ?

?
Are you saying you want a personal email from Development each time a sync problem occurs?

Because deleting files is a user’s decision, not the software’s.

then I expect a clear error message and not just “inconsistency” cannot be eliminated!

And we have new information, especially regarding DEVONthink To Go 3, that points to troubles with zero-byte files.

… and then you change the code so user databases are not synced anymore ? Sounds like a snap shot

Are you saying you want a personal email from Development each time a sync problem occurs?

every time (!) when a sync error occurs I want to receive an email from DT. Only then will I have a chance of finding a quick solution in time.
There is definitely nothing worse than various databases that do not have the same status despite synchronization.
In the past, DT has not covered itself with fame with this “feature” !

Hey, I can tell you’re irked and I get that the decisions taken by DT aren’t the ones you would have chosen to take for your use case.

If you have read the link @Solar-Glare posted, you will know that DT are already considering providing users with the option to turn off the new feature.

You’ll never be getting an email from DT to tell you sync has failed - you aren’t syncing via their servers. You do get a log entry though; I understand that the information in the log did not point you directly to the solution - my experience with DT is that if you make a solution oriented suggestion how to do that better, they will listen. It’s more difficult to listen so long as adrenaline is flowing.

Can we all please help together to make the software we rely on better?

5 Likes

Do you really know how annoying it is when the sync protocols repeatedly produce errors and how it feels to have different states of databases at the same time on different devices (sometimes located in different countries) ?

We don’t sit in front of our desktop computers all the time and therefore don’t see any possible warning messages.

I am also very surprised that you are now talking about “foreign” servers.

So here again:
in the case of sync errors, I expect the program code to be expanded by the DT developers so that, in addition to the entry in the DT log, an email is also sent to an email address I previously saved in the options of DT3.

No, I’d assume I’m pretty clueless as to the stress induced by the scenarios you are describing. I’m in the luxurious position of having a few minutes notice before I leave my work space and so can include “data” in my routine check for “have I got everything?” It’s obvious we work in quite different conditions; I don’t envy you for yours.

In the scenarios you describe, can you explain how receiving an e-mail would assist you? Obviously, not being at your desktop computer, you wouldn’t actually be able to solve the problem - although you would know it existed. Or am I missing something?

Anyway, I’m sure it’s helpful that you have made your expectations clear. If you’d like any assistance here on the forum, please don’t hesitate to ask.

2 Likes

Obviously, not being at your desktop computer, you wouldn’t actually be able to solve the problem - although you would know it existed. Or am I missing something?

Of course, with an existing internet connection, I can dial into the desktop and control it from abroad via VPN and / or direct remote connection.
But this is not about this technical self-evident fact.
Rather, there is an expectation that a system which itself detects a (serious) error can also send corresponding automated information to the user (s) in order to enable consistent data to be restored quickly.
Whether this is actually possible immediately is then outside the responsibility of the developer.

Ah, genius. As I said, I’m completely ignorant of all these amazing possibilities, I wouldn’t have a clue. But you’ve noticed that already.

So sorry I couldn’t assist you in any way. But as I said, you’ve made your expectations clear and I have no doubt DEVONtech will be taking them seriously.

2 Likes