Finding empty (Finder) Folders within an indexed volume

I have searched this forum and can only find dated information. What I found also seems rather ā€¦ not what I want.

I have indexed a folder on a volume partition on my hard drive. This folder contains documents going back a decade or more. The documents cover course that I have taught on a particular topic. Sometimes, in any given year or semester, I duplicated (at the Finder level) some folders to a new folder and simply renamed the folder (e.g. Course ZZ S01 becomes Course ZZ S02).

I want to use DT to cull this mess in various ways. One way is to remove duplicate files. As I remove duplicate files, I can leave behind empty folders at the Finder level. I want to remove those Folders as well.

An old posting from nearly a decade ago suggests that I should just leave it be. Iā€™d rather say hog-wash to that proposal.

Does DT have a way to find empty FOLDERS (at the Finder level)? Or is this a job for a different tool?

ā€“
JJW

A toolbar search for kind:group item:!data item:indexed should return such indexed folders.

2 Likes

Smart Group ā†’ kind: group, item: does not contain data

It was the KIND: GROUP (rather than folder) that had me stumped.

Thank you!!

ā€“
JJW

It was the KIND: GROUP (rather than folder) that had me stumped.

Correct. DEVONthink has groups, not folders.